Locate Me Offline!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 1337chaos, Jul 31, 2008.

1. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    so we were just driving around and i decided to mess with my ipod touch. i open up the Maps app (im on 2.0 mind you) and hit "Locate Me" it pops up with a dialog with all the wifi networks around me, 2 show up, both of which are locked. so im not connected to the internet in any way. i hit "Cancel" on the wifi network screen and it tells me that if i dont want to be notified then turn off the setting blah blah, so i hit Ok. after this, the blue locate me circle shows up in Maps, zooms in, and guess what. pinpoints my exact location. i wasnt even online, yet it found me. i left it on locate mode, where it keeps scanning and scannin until you turn it off. we were driving, and to my surprise, every half-block we went, the blue circle would move half a block in the direction we were travelling! my question is: how in the hell does it know where i am if im not even connected to wifi?!
  2. stevenplanet

stevenplanet Banned

I think because the camera can see where you are and the accelerometer can also see how fast you are moving. And then it calculates where you made your last call with cell tower triangulation and estimates your geographical point on Mars.
  3. killerjak7

killerjak7 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    hes on a ipod
  4. jaymzleon

jaymzleon Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    his post was a joke... out of everything he said, thats what you got out of it? lol
  5. JBknights10

JBknights10 New Member

HAHAHA exactly what I was thinking. But thread starter, maybe you were actually connected it just wasn't showing?
  6. jaymzleon

jaymzleon Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    well heres what i think. try this, next time you are near a locked wifi connection, type "admin" in as the key/password, it shows you are connected, but with access restrictions... but to an extent you have a signal going to your ipod, or computer which ever you try it on... so maybe it works in a way like that, and it give just enough to give you a mark.
  7. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    thats what i was thinking. because the point here is that i had JUST restored my ipod yesterday. there were no maps loaded for the area of town i was driving in, yet it found where i was + loaded a blurry map of that area. im betting it either logs into ANY open wifi within its limits (seeing Steve Jobs did say it can find the wifi even if its "miles away") and just uses it to download a small section of the map at a blurry level + checks with the server to see where you are, or like you said, it logs itself in just for a split second.
  8. robbie fox

robbie fox New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    how can i find my ipad i lost in the city in melbourne on icloud its saying its offline how can u reloate it if its offline.
  9. DarkAura17

DarkAura17 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    First of all, please look at the post date (July 2008) before bumping an old thread. Second of all, iCloud wasn't even implemented in devices back then. And lastly, is your iPad a 3G or Wi-Fi model? If its a Wi-Fi model, you will have to wait until its connected to a network to find it on iCloud. There is no possible way to relocate it while its offline.