Local caching of maps on Maps.app

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by fgf4, Apr 13, 2008.

1. fgf4

fgf4 New Member

Is there a simple way to download and save to your touch map coverage for a large area (for instance ontario), so i can browse the maps off line when i have no wifi access?
    I read about Maps Offline but i'm not sure at what stage of development this is and how stable it is.

Thanks in advance for help.
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

You don't want to download all of Ontario, trust me. It took me two hours just to download the GTA and surrounding areas (Newmarket to the north, Oshawa to the east, Burlington to the south, Guelph to the west -- a fairly big area), and even then the map files were over 1GB in size. And that was with a single map layer! (Standard map; no sat or hybrid) I wouldn't even want to know how large or how long it would take to grab all of Ontario.

I'm currently working on a MapThis! and Maps Offline tutorial; I'm just trying to get Maps Offline working properly, so I'm in talks with the author to figure this out.
  3. meloyo

meloyo Member

Yea Canadians!
  4. bklynsoulja

bklynsoulja New Member

I need a map of New York City how would i do this?
  5. allenmehrer

allenmehrer Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This is very possible. The map this utility does work. I will not go through a step by step guide because there is already one available. Go to http://mapsoffline.wordpress.com/maps-offline/. Its a great read and helped by get everything working perfectly. You will also need to download the package gmdl0.5.05b.zip which can be found through a link on the sidebar of that page. This program will allow you to create cached files of the cities you want.

Follow the directions and it should work.