Lithium-air batteries could pack 10 times the energy

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by Romulus, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Romulus

Romulus New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    PolyPlus, a Berkeley, Calif.-based company has developed single-use lithium metal-air batteries for the government. Expected to hit the market in a few years, the company also claims to have rechargeable batteries based on the same lithium metal-air technology in the early stages of development.

With an energy density approaching that of a fuel cell, but with the less volatile characteristics of a battery, founder and chief technical officer Steven Visco has described lithium-metal as "the holy-grail battery material." Indeed, the theoretic energy density stands at more than 5,000 watt-hours per kilogram, which is 10 times that of current lithium-ion batteries.

What has prevented the creation of batteries using the lithium metal as an electrode is the fact that the material reacts violently when in contact with water - and there's always water in the air. Due to the breakthrough work, this is no longer an issue. I'll be looking forward to commercial rechargeable batteries; certainly, I don't mind seeing my laptop run for up to 10 times as long!

I am not the original author of the above text, just passing it forward to other users who may not have known. This could prove to be very interesting for the world of energy.

Just think, It's less tolerable to fire, more suitable for being near water ( i.e. Marinecraft batteries)

I did notice from the closing of the PolyPlus stock that quite a few people have taken interest in this newely developing creation.

Anyone else have thoughts?
  2. kewlgreen

kewlgreen Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That would be awesome! lol

A heck of a lot longer lasting iPod Touches, better for longer trips.

Please Register or Log in to view images