[LIST] What jailbreak can do - to make decision easier!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ZhiZhi778, Oct 25, 2008.

1. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hi everybody, today I saw a thread asking the question what the benefits of jailbroken 2.x firmware are. I thought a while about this question and created a long post.
    I want also to post it here (sorry for cross-posting) because many people are standing in front of the question:
    Jailbreak, YES OR NO???

This thread should show up the benefits but ALSO the disadvantages of a jailbreak. So guys please post everything you experienced or methods you've got into here. Perhaps this thread can be made sticky??

Disclaimer: In This post words are used which are NOT complying to the rules. This thread should ONLY be an information thread to show up what JB can do. In the end everybody has to make his own decision whether he wants to do illegal things or not. So please don't ban me for this thread...perhaps editing out(=?). Also remind that in this thread there aren't ANY instructions how to do illegal things. If someone really wants to he/she can use google. And it's NOT a secret that cracked apps can be installed so no need to claim on that point - if you don't like it overread it.
    ok enough, let's go:

Use: THIS COLOR (in the editor it's the 3rd row and 4th color) for benefits
    Use: THIS COLOR (in the editor it's 2nd row and 1st color) for disadvantages
    -------------------------------
    Full filesystem access, for example if you need a special file and you have no usb stick handy then you can use your ipod.

filedownload possibility, directly download anything to your ipod and drag&drop it to your pc/mac lateron using ftp/ssh

makes hardware your own, using terminal you can almost do everything. for example change the MAC address of ipods wifi card
    or use ftp/sftp/ssh to manage your website!

Use *******/filesharing

replaced musicplayer will release this WE (pwnplayer) with alot of features.

youtube video downloads (mxtube)

themes (but that's boring..^^)

modifications like "Backgrounder" (lets you run official apps in the background! for example aim in the background or lastfm!) or QuickGold (one click on homescreen with homebutton will bring up a search in which you can search everywhere and access it immediately)

writing long texts and paste them in safari (for example if you post on forums like these it's annoying if safari randomly crashes while typing. with the CopierciN app this wont happen anymore! you can type long texts in a comfortable editor and then just paste it in safari!)

custom boot logo

offline google maps even WITH wifi positioning
    --offline routing

video converting without computer! (mplayer)

appbackup - if you accidently deleted an app but backed it up before with appbackup you can just reinstall it and then restore its files- after that it will work like nothing happened!

vnc - control your ipod via a computer and type long texts with a REAL keybord it's kinda useless but funny^^

categories on homescreen to tidy it.

poof for hiding applications (this wont work for some reasons as I read in iPTF)

Swapping library so you can sync with 2 computers/itunes!

and last but not least a BIG community which's going to support you if you've got problems

cracked applications - do it at your own responsibility. if apple comes to get you off your pants then it's your own problem

Please Register or Log in to view images

your ipod will probably crash and cause you a restore if you use beta applications (like LogoMe, just an example nothing against it)

you can also mess it up with other apps (for example the Patchul*** app which is for cracked apps will kill your appstore app

)

jailbreak can slow down your device and decrease battery charge quicker. especially background processes like VNC/SSH/FTP/apps enabled with backgrounder

you are voiding your warranty (but you can UNDO jailbreak)

jailbreak can cause much headache for example staring at SWODs or BSODs or buttons not working or flashing screen.

hope I could help - I'll edit/post if something new comes to my mind^^

best regards
    mirror1
  2. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

- No arguing with that, just don't be an idiot.

- Jailbreaking =/= automatically has to be using cracked apps. If you are legit with the App Store, then all App Store apps will work.

- VNC is not a background app. SSH is a daemon that only uses battery when you are talking to it. FTP is enabled only via some App Store apps, and has nothing to do with jailbreaking. Backgrounder should only be used for IM apps and Safari, or things that you want to keep open for a while. It should not be used every time you exit an apps, and therefore will not drain battery without you knowing.

- Duh. You can always restore from anything though, so you're warranty is never voided to the normal eye.

- BSOD = on Windoze only. SWOD = thing of the past. Just install MobileSubstrate. Only LogoMe (which now works) caused buttons to malfunction.
  3. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

You say LogoMe works now ?
    So it's safe to use ?
  4. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    1.I'm not an idiot

2.BSOD=BlackScreenOfDeath not Blue^^ (search a bit and youll find some users posting this prob)

3.ftp is a background app I mean the daemon called vsftpd which is going to ACCEPT incoming connections for faster transfers than ssh provides.

4.vnsea is also a background server which receives the incoming connections!

in case of both, vnc&ftp, I do NOT mean the appstore crap which are only clients^^

5.you can do everything you want with your(!) device and in my eyes jailbroken apps are NOT cracked apps! they just don't respect the weird rules of the appstore. but they're provided for free and you do NOT need to crack them. they can be compared to the things called "freeware"

yes, device is cracked but who cares? apple won't go to your home and say "hey you cracked my device now you'll have to stay awhile in prison"

you paid for it, you can compare it to your computer. you can overclock it and/or do anything with it it is YOURS.
  5. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Please remove cracked applications from the advanages list. You are a fool.
  6. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    LogoMe is still unsafe regarding some firmware versions. On 2.1 I do not suggest you to install it...
    and take care of the fileSIZE! that causes most of the crashes.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    ok perhaps I should also add that there aren't ANY instructions how to use them.
  7. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

Meh , I'll just skip it then.
    I only see that little apple like once every two weeks anyways.
  8. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

I've been around this forum some times, and have never heard of a black screen of death.

vsftpd is also a daemon that only runs while actively talking. No battery loss.

VNSea does not exist on 2.x. VNC apps do exist on the app store, and Veency is a daemon made by saurik that sleeps until a connection is established.

Apple could very well put an adult with cracked apps in jail. It's illegal, and Patchulous enables cracking of apps, therefore discussion of it is not allowed here and it should not be listed as a con of jailbreaking when only people who want to use jailbreaking for illegal purposes will have app store apps mess up.
  9. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    regarding daemons: yes you're right but they have to run in background and listen to the ports...that is what I mean and the main point is that they slow down your firmware a bit.

anyway to cracked apps:
    I can see your point (some small mistakes in terms of meaning - patchulous doesn't enable cracking of apps - that thing is called mobileinstallation - and also apple can't do it the developers of the apps can) I think the best is if we put that into a greylist. You never can discuss this question out because on the other hand an adult would know what is illegal and what not so he takes his own responsibilities...anyway - I'll just grey it out.