List of Apps That Work With the 1G 2.2fw(require a mic)

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by amandwato, Dec 11, 2008.

1. amandwato

amandwato Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Here I will make a list of apps that work with the iPot 1G on 2.2:

fring
    Voxie Pro
    Shazam
    vlingo
    TalkingPics
    Ocarina(nathana)
    iTalk(nathana)
    Say Where!(nathana)
    Nimbuzz
    Siax
    Agile Lie Detector

Here is a list of known working mics:

MacAlly iVoice III
    MacAlly iVoice III Pro
    HAMA Record Adapter RA 3

Please submit the apps/mics you know that work.
    P.S. please tell me if u would like credit for the find by the app/mic in the list of apps/mics.
    **Note- some apps may require you to SSH the .app file into the ipod!**(thanks nathana)
    Heres a short guide on how to do this
    1) download wanted app on to computer
    2) find file location
    3) rename file from .ipa to .zip(or.rar)
    4) extract file
    5) drag the .app folder to /Applications on the ipod
    6) respring
  2. rwphwp

rwphwp New Member

TalkingPics works also. You can use a photo from your library or attach voice to a screen shot. Here's a quick screen shot and the audio file it creates, which can be opened with Quicktime.

Attached Files:

3. rwphwp

rwphwp New Member

According to another post, Ocarina and iTalk work as well.
  4. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the list, possibly add a list of microphones that will work too?

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. amandwato

amandwato Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    sure thing, great idea
    if anyone knows of mics besides the macallys that work plz post

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. nathana

nathana New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I'm the one who reported success with Ocarina and iTalk (and you can also put down Say Where! as well). Please note, though, that apps from the App Store such as Ocarina and iTalk cannot be installed directly VIA the App Store because it will refuse to sell them to you unless you have an iPhone (or, in some cases with some apps that have been updated since the 2G release, a Touch 2G). You will have to buy the app from iTunes on your computer and then copy them over to your phone and install them manually. When you install them, they will have to go in /Applications, so they will not be treated as if they are App Store applications (you can't uninstall them directly from Springboard, they cannot be upgraded via App Store, they can't be backed up/restored via iTunes, AND I also discovered that their icons will remain squared off and not have the "shine" effect applied to them, so they will look rather dull as well as out-of-place!).

But after playing with iTalk, Ocarina, and Say Where! (all of which followed the rules of the SDK with regard to microphone access and were published on the App Store) and not running into any surprises while using them, I have full confidence that ANY application on the App Store that accesses the microphone WILL work on a 1G Touch which is coupled with an iVoice III (or Pro), and possibly other dock-connector-based microphones that follow Apple's "Made for iPod" NDA'd handshake protocol for the line-in pins on the dock connector.

The only exception to this that I have discovered so far is the Google app, which on the iPhone allows you to search via voice dictation. It uses undocumented Apple APIs to access the proximity sensor next to the earpiece on the iPhone, and I'm guessing in addition to that it is looking to see whether you actually HAVE an iPhone or an iPod Touch; and if you do not have the former, it shuts off the voice features even if a microphone is connected. (I'm guessing that the voice search doesn't even work on the 2G Touch in the Google app...) So other than the rare application that actually does a runtime check to see what hardware it is running on (such as the Google app), all other apps should work.

-- Nathan
  7. tmaxx445

tmaxx445 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    When i try to rename it from .ipa to .zip the .ipa does not show up a file name but then when i click open with then choose program it is still .ipa and also has .zip. How do i get rid of the .ipa.

tmaxx445
  8. joshmosh

joshmosh New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You can also add siax (an excellent VoIP program) to the list. It requires a
    2.2 iPod Touch with jailbreak. See www.siax.org for details.

Merry Xmas,
    JoshMosh
  9. justjoe21

justjoe21 New Member

shazam (and none of the free apps) dont work what could be the problem
  10. amandwato

amandwato Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    **Note- some apps may require you to SSH the .app file into the ipod!**(thanks nathana)
    Heres a short guide on how to do this
    1) download wanted app on to computer
    2) find file location
    3) rename file from .ipa to .zip(or.rar)
    4) extract file
    5) drag the .app folder to /Applications on the ipod
    6) respring