Linux and iPod touch wireless data transfer

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by adewey, Jan 16, 2008.

1. adewey

adewey New Member

So I was screwing around on Ubuntu Linux last night while listening to my iTouch and I was trying to get a file from another computer on my network when I noticed that it said the name of my iPod. I was like WTF its not even plugged in. So I decided to double click it and it asked for username and password, so I entered the username root and the password alpine and I was in. Crazy huh? So then to prove that I was actually in my iPod, I downloaded a NES rom and put it in the media folder and everything said it transferred ok. So I went to the NES app on my iTouch, without rebooting, and there it was, and it was fully playable. This discovery was pretty random. Has anyone else been able to do this? Because this also presents a security risk for everyone running a jailbroken iTouch and iPhone because if we were sharing a free WiFi connection, I could put any file I wanted on your iPhone or iTouch without anyone knowing...
  2. jonboy

jonboy New Member

Was your FTP client configured for your touch and running?
  3. ipodlax

ipodlax New Member

wow thats a little wierd like if you were sitting at like a starbucks someone could just sit there and put virsus on your ipod and screw you up
  4. adewey

adewey New Member

No it wasnt configured at all, i just clicked network and it showed DO-E's iPod (my ipod name) then i clicked it and i said its IP address and port 22 and asked for username and pass.
  5. adewey

adewey New Member

A virus would be pretty hard to program, but one could delete every file in the OS instantly making your iPod brick and be unrecoverable...
  6. deckert

deckert New Member

Well since you would need to have jailbreaked your ipod to be able to ssh/sftp into it in the first place, just change the root password and no one else can access it. Problem solved
  7. adewey

adewey New Member

well that would work but i doubt many people would do it or let alone know how to do it