Lint

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Cyanidepoison, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

Have any of you found any good Lint programs for Objective-C? I tried running it through splint, but it just complained about the #import vs. #include (since it doesn't even know what #import is).

For those of you who are wondering, lint programs are like turning your compiler on with pretty much every possible warning plus a bunch more that compilers don't care about.

I spent three hours tracking down a bug that stemmed from me using the assignment operator instead of equality. Lint on a C program would have caught that immediately.
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Why not use -Wall and -Werror? If you use = where you should use ==, that's totally your own fault. If you spend hours tracking down that bug, then you must learn better pactices with a debugger, or start stepping through your code line by line (while it's running).

Yes, we all make that mistake, it happens. But you should not spend hours tracking it down.
  3. Cyanidepoison

Compilers do not check the kind of logic errors and security flaws I'm talking about.
  4. SkylarEC

It seems to me that relying on a third party to the compilation process is a recipe for disaster, no?

Under different circumstances, I could use if (x == 4) or if (x = 4). Depending on whether I want to test equality or assignment.

if ([someString isEqualToString:someOtherString]) or if (someString = someOtherString);

I don't know about anyone else, but there's no way I'll trust a machine correct my logic. Although your opinion is obviously different, and isn't wrong by any means. It's just that I don't agree with it. I do hope you find what you;re looking for.
  5. Cyanidepoison

Lint isn't part of the compilation process. It just processes your code and spits out more errors that you may want to look into.

I realize a healthy session with GDB would have solved this issue, but I was sure my errors were in a completely different realm. It was pretty stupid.
  6. SkylarEC

I still don't care. There's no way I'm trusting it. A machine is only as good as the person who built it.

Plus, when they finally rise to take over the planet and wage all out war on humanity, I don't want them to know my damn secrets.