Line-Out + Charge

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by beefkake, Dec 15, 2008.

1. beefkake

beefkake New Member

Hello,
    I'm new to this forum but seem to have found a lot of knowledge about the iPod Touch here on this forum.

I am looking for a dock that I can connect to my new Touch that will give me a line-out to my head unit and charge the Touch.

I had a Dell DJ 30gb hard wired in for the last 5 year, but that was through a custom made dock using the desktop dock. I would do that again here, but I don't have the time, nor the resources to go about building one to support the Touch.

I have been looking at the following two items and would like opinions on which would be my best bet:

Griffin AutoPilot

Please Register or Log in to view images

SiK imp for iPod

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks for the help, and look forward to being part of the community.
  2. cameleon1267

cameleon1267 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I am using the griffin one in my car everyday. works perfectly with ipod touch 1G and iphone 3G.
  3. Vanished

Vanished New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Let me just clear this up. The goal here is that you want to play your ipod touch on your cd player, but also want to charge it.

The auto pilot is cool and all, but it's very bounded. All you can do with is is charge your ipod, and control it, which I find useless because I enjoy using the ipod touch itself to control the music (especially with pocket touch).

This is what I would do. Take that fifty dollars and go buy an 80 watt DC-AC converter. You can either use these in your cig outlet, or wire it right to your battery (it's better for thing that need more juice). There are a few that come with a USB port on them as well!

Just run your USB cord to the charger, and an RCA-to-phono cord to you aux input in your head unit!

Now, you've spent the same, but there's so much more you can use it for. Charge you laptop, cellphone, ipod, curl your hair, use power tools (if you get a good converter), I'm using mine right now for my XBOX with media center on it for music and videos, sometimes gaming...get motion sick after player need for speed in a moving car haha...

VERY useful for camping or anything that doesn't have a car charger that comes with it.

You're getting a lot more with a good converter than with a griffin auto pilot. That being said!, If you WANT that external control for you ipod while you drive, then you'd best get the autopilot.

Anyway good luck!
  4. crtracer

crtracer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I have a radio in my car that's compatible with an ipod/iphone so i just plug the sync cable into the back of the radio, and plug in my iphone, and play music through my car speakers while charging it. Works great for the GPS (navigon) and music.

This will only work if you have that type of radio.