Line In; What kind of sound quality to expect?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Noisemaker, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

I'm a musician. Right now I use my laptop for recording, but taking a laptop everywhere isn't always possible - let alone mics and music gear.

Now that the 2G Touch has line in, mics can be hooked up to it (even if they are just Apple ones). What kind of quality can this give? Good enough for recording ideas and very rough demos? Field recording? Or, is it more like phone quality sounds?

I'd appreciate any input on this!
  2. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    it will be like recording music on a normal cell phone :\

tinny with no bass and rubbish sound quality
  3. saf100792

saf100792 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    just exactly how do you know. The quality will probably be pretty bad when playing the recording using the speakers but i'd imaging the quality of the actual recording will be OK
  4. SiN Altr Ego EL

SiN Altr Ego EL New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    well just exactly how do u know? here is the deal. if u use a crappy mic, the sound will b pretty bad, no matter what its being played outta. i could take a crap recording on my phone of something, and put it through the best speakers in the world, and it would still sound like crap.
    better example: if i record a video at a concert in the front row, right by the subs, it usually will sound like garbage. well when i put that video up on youtube, and people r watching it and they have some decent speakers plugged in to their computer, the quality will still sound bad, cause the recording is bad. simple as that.
  5. saf100792

saf100792 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    well, first off i said "probably" (normally means not 100%)if the mic is OK the recording should be ok just like you said but how do you know the mic apple is gonna sell will be crappy is my question
  6. Thao

Thao New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    To the OP: You're not going to get an answer, only guesses, as no one knows the actual answer to this.

Myself, I'm going to assume the sound quality will be about average, using an Apple Product. They aren't going to make it sound like crap, but I won't be your $400 microphone sound either.
  7. ChikityChinaGuy

ChikityChinaGuy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i actually think it depends on the compression the recording app uses
    and the quality of the mic
    but thats just what i think...