Line in recording for ipod touch 2g?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gugmi01, Jun 30, 2009.

1. gugmi01

gugmi01 New Member

Hey everyone so I downloaded the new 3.0 firmware recently and noticed the new voice memo feature. I play guitar and record on my computer but I need a way to be able to record the audio and then be able to bring it with me convenietly. I tried plugging my ipod into the computer,with a 2 way audio cord not the ipod data cord, and playing back audio while using the ipod was in the voice memo app but it kept saying there was no microphone found. Is there an app out there that will allow me to record audio through a cord like i am describing. it would be so much more convenient for me whether im trying to record from the computer to share audio later or from my amp. If there isnt an app for this, is there at least a jailbroken hack? thanks in advanced.
    -mikeG
    sorry i meant line-in recording
  2. stainlessrat

stainlessrat New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Odd are, your cord doesn't have the correct connection for the microphone. If you google 'ipod touch microphone 3.5mm' and view the image results, you'll see a number of microphone connectors that have 4 metal sections separated by 3 black bands.

Standard 3.5mm stereo jacks (and the output form your computer) use a 3 section connection (3 metal sections separated by only two black bands).

I haven't seen a male/male cord that would do what you're asking, although I haven't looked either...but I'm not sure how the stereo output would map to the jack's input.
  3. gugmi01

gugmi01 New Member

well ive gotten it to work with my computer and my other mp3 player, and with my piano. its just a matter of gettin it to work with the ipod. and im lookin for line in recording, not mic recording i think this has something to do with apple and their need for control of their product. i dunno for certain though
  4. :^]

:^] New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    First of all, you need a 1/8" Tip-Ring-Ring-Sleeve male to go into the headphone jack (same plug as you find on the headphones with microphone). On the other end you'll have 3 connections, one for microphone and two for stereo output. Then you need to trick the hardware into thinking it's got a microphone attached. I'm not sure exactly how to do this, but I do know my boss did some forum searching and came up with a way to wire a resistor and something else inline, making the iPod detect a "microphone" Then he just sent signal through it.

A note though, you're only going to get mono input. There are some sound mixers that allow direct stereo recording to the iPod, but I don't think there is any portable solution yet.

If you have a little bit of cash laying around, you'll find a Zoom recorder (I have the H4, but I've heard the H2 is decent for the money) fits nicely in a guitar case.
  5. gugmi01

gugmi01 New Member

Ah i see, hmm i think i could do that. Please let me know if you find out what he did to trick the hardware.
    And thanks for the suggestion, i'll check out that recorder you were talkin about
    thanks again
    mikeG
  6. AcdcBeast

AcdcBeast New Member

How long have you been playing guitar? What kind?
  7. IceBerg

IceBerg New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    1) make sure you have a 4 contact plug as that is needed for line in.

2) guitar is not line level and the ipod touch does not have any preamp, you need a preamp to get to line level.

3) also check out the software four track recorder, should be in the app store.
  8. gugmi01

gugmi01 New Member

Well i meant i would put it through my amp or at least my pedal. i'll look into the 4 contact plug thing and i tried a few recording apps but no luck. Thanks anyways

And ive been playin for about 6-7 years and i have an ibanez acoustic electric and a 1970's epiphone crestwood