Line-in other than mic?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Recon, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Recon

Recon New Member

It would be great if anyone could clear up the line in recording of the 2G.

Apple said in the 2.2 update they had activated line in although recording audio through a mic worked in the previous software, what do they mean then?

Also, i want to record my own dj mixes live by either RCA cables to the amp or mixer with the application 'FourTrack'.
    Now i know to do this you must use the video RCA cables, Red, White, Yellow.
    Before the 2.2 update i had this working by just using the Red and White, but with the 2.2 update it's stopped working!

I know the Yellow cable is in effect the mic input, but if i want to record by connecting to an amp or mixer do i need to split the yellow into Red and White input to amp?

Any help would be great!
  2. BroadStBullies

BroadStBullies Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I think this means that you can now get a microphone that connects through the headphone jack. You can buy the Apple ones at their website.
  3. soundbeni

soundbeni New Member

But I think this feature whith the mic was already available when 2G came out with firmware 2.1.
    And I think (i don't know if apple thinks so too) that there is a little difference between line input and microphone input^^

so all in all
    I'm also very interestet in what apple really means by enabled line input !!!

does anybody know?
  4. JAD

JAD New Member

I'm guessing but I suppose it means a direct feed from other devices such as guitar pickups and so on. Could be very handy for recording from instruments and other electronic devices.
  5. Recon

Recon New Member

(QUOTE) And I think (i don't know if apple thinks so too) that there is a little difference between line input and microphone input^^

Exactly!!!
    There is a difference between mic input and line input.
    So how do we achieve true line input if we cannot use normal red and white RCA cables that are used for line in/line out?
    It's easy plugging a guitar using the video RCA, (Red, White, and, Yellow) cables by using an adapter on the yellow RCA, but how to use the output of a mixer or amp is unclear!
  6. trankton

trankton New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Recording (actually) on ipod touch 2g??? Saga continues.

I just got off the phone with Apple. My problem is that i bought the 2g ipod touch so that i could plug in my studio gear into the headphone jack and record. Like my mixer (rca) or from another ipod (wire with double male 3.5 jack). It would seem that this is not really possible without mods (third party or basement). The jack will not take a regular rca cable. Apple had to go out of their way to disable this. It would have been so easy for them to include full fledge line-in capabilites.

It may be possible to mod the Apple (or third party headsets that work) with rca connection, tho it would still be mono, but who wants to go through all that trouble

HITMAN45: " I think this means that you can now get a microphone that connects through the headphone jack. You can buy the Apple ones at their website.
    _____Don't Jailbreak"
    First, i would suggest you not to tell people what to do, especially with such a short and weak apple humping post (we are trying to help each other here). Second, your post has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Everybody on this forum knows you can record crappy mono audio with the overpriced Apple mic headset. What people here want to do is record stereo 44.1 16bit audio (if they don't this whole post should not exist because people would first go to apple site and cop the earphones with mic or use a generic set).

We are being spoon fed. Once again apple takes us out to lunch and leaves third party contributers to pick up slack that should never have been there to begin with.

There is a mic attachment with a line in for the dock, but the whole point of audio in on the 2g jack (the one we thought we were getting) is to eliminate that need. Pretty soon we will need to attach an ipod touch to an ipod touch to get the thing to work. EVERYBODY phone apple and ask all the questions that you have about this audio issue, let them know what's up. Seriously, clog up their lines. When i called, it seemed foreign to them and as far as i am concerned, that is unacceptable.

thank you for your time
  7. smorga62

smorga62 New Member

I too am interested in audio recording with the ipod touch 2g. I found this product made by alesis called the protrack that enables you to record with built in mics external mic's w/ phantom power, or a line in from a mixer. It also states its compatible with the ipod touch 2g.

http://www.alesis.com/protrack