Review Lili

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by tinyman392, Oct 15, 2012.

1. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Application Review: Lili
    BitMonster | 752.6 M | $ 4.99

[​IMG]

With the unleashing of the Unreal Engine for iOS, we’ve seen many games come out. From the sword fighting, to the shooters, to even more sword fighting. Then we have the other game, the half mystery where you walk around aimlessly finding clues to a story. Lili, takes that story, but adds actual gamelay to it.

Gameplay

The story begins with the protagonist landing on the island of Geos looking for flowers for her school project. Thought to be deserted, she steps foot on the island only to run into a large masked being who calls himself the mayor. Upon entering the island, she finds life thriving making wooden friends who want to be freed from the tyranny of the Mayor (who is a spirit) and his spirits.

[​IMG]
    The idea is simple, jump on them and grab their rare flowers.

Your job is to collect flowers, on the way however, you decide to help out the oppressed wooden inhabitants of Geos by jumping on the back of the spirits and plucking their flowers right off of them. As time goes by, these flower-picking sprees become tougher and longer-winded as these spirits begin deploying thorns and bombs to get you off their back.

[​IMG]
    As the game goes on, the spirits get much tougher to beat.

As you progress through the game, you are sent to different areas of Geos, unlocking doors, and doing the little odd jobs that will eventually free the wooden friends of Geos from the ungodly spirits. Each map unlocks a new world to explore.

[​IMG]
    There are many areas to explore on the island of Geos.

Also, as you progress, you train with the trainer. With each mission you do, you go through a small training session. Each of these sessions allows you to increase your running speed, your gripping ability, or Lili’s stealth. Additional items can also be purchased in game to upgrade these as well.

[​IMG]
    Lili didn’t just come with amazing speed, she had to train for it.

Controls are very simple. You tap to walk or stop moving (if you’re moving). Double tapping will begin Lili off on a short run. Swiping the screen allows Lili to run in different directions and view different areas of the map. Everything else is basically a menu item. The controls are dead simple.

[​IMG]
    Tap, double tap, swipe, that’s all there is to it.

Gameplay: ★★★★

Graphics

Bitmonster put the Unreal Engine to good use for Lili. The game runs smooth on the new 5th generation Touch, which also will run in wide-screen. The graphics are crisp and detailed extremely well. The colors are bright and vibrant with great smoothness behind them. Lighting effects are nicely executed as well. The entire game has more of a cartoon feel to it, but the graphics are still top notch.

[​IMG]
    The graphics in this game are just gorgeous.

Graphics: ★★★★

Audio

Audio detailing is very abundant in this game. Dings, foot steps, and even birds chirping are replayed in a beautiful manner. Background music stays just where it belongs, in the background. The characters’ voices are restricted down to the simplest ‘hi’. I do wish that the game could expand on this a little more; it’d give a much better sense of quality if it did.

Audio: ★★★★½

Replay

After your adventures on the island of Geos, there is still much to explore. Locked doors tend to hold the contents of a treasure chest. Each chest containing some artifact that could help Lili in her studies; it’s why she came in the first place. Meeting all of the wooden townspeople and making new friends also plays as replay. I do wish there was a bit more though. Better hiding places for treasure chests, secret rooms, that sort of thing.

[​IMG]
    Treasure is hidden throughout the island. It may not help you grip the Spirit better, but is fun to find while exploring.

Replay: ★★★★½

Value

Lili costs 5 dollars on the App store. For the price, I would be expecting to get a game where everything can be unlocked in game without the need to do an in app purchase. Unfortunately, this isn’t the case. Many outfits that Lili can wear, as well as a couple of items require an additional in-app purchase of a dollar. I find this to be a complete rip off since the game is already purchased for 1 dollar. Outside that, however, the gameplay and graphics are well worth the money.

[​IMG]
    When you shop, many items can be purchased using coins gained in-game. Some require an in-app purchase.

Value: ★★★★½

Final Thoughts

Upon starting the game, the graphics greatly impressed me. I wasn’t expecting to enjoy the gameplay that much, but I actually did. The game itself serves as a good time killer, and the story does interest the player to the point where they will want to know what happens. I never thought I’d have this much fun picking flowers.

Overall Score
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    † All prices are in US currency.
    This review was written by the iFans.com Review Team. Cumulative scores are rounded to the nearest half or full star.
    All accessories, applications, themes, tweaks, or other products were purchased by iFans at their respective prices unless stated otherwise.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  2. Steqheu

Steqheu Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    The graphics look really good. I don't really like the premise of the game, but I would love to see similar art styles in other games.
    iBeans likes this.
  3. Aarix

Aarix Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    We need more "addicting" games. Not just eye candy. Games like hector and ghost trick were amazing games on the app store.
  4. Steqheu

Steqheu Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Completely agree. Remember Pocket God? That was a phenomenon. Bi-weekly updates that added content. So much fun for a while.
    JailbreakHelp and Aarix like this.
  5. Nivalwolf

Nivalwolf Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    We need more "Solid" games, long games with a story, graphics and good gameplay. "Console quality" I suppose, so that iOS starts to be seen as a viable hardcore gaming device and we can get some good games on it. FFT, the world ends with you, etc. are examples of good, full-length games, not carbon copies of something else (hi Gameloft). They are ports unfortunately.

I'm waiting for FF 4 5 and 6 to come out on iOS, they HAVE to come out. Also 7 8 9, I think by now idevices are more than capable of running those gems am I right?
  6. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Most Gameloft games are clones, not ports. A port is taking the code and translating it for the iOS device. Otherwise, I do agree, we do need more solid games with a long story, graphics, and gameplay. I wouldn't call Gameloft games good exactly. The clone is decent, but the game tends to be much shorter than console titles. This game has a decently long story. I haven't finished it, but have played 2-3 hours out of it. I feel this game is like a non-violent RPG.

iOS can run FF 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. It can probably even take FF 10. The thing is the space the game would take up. No one is interested in downloading a game that can be a few gigs in size.
  7. Ambience

Ambience Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 7
    Have you played that game called Song Summoner, also by Square Enix? The one that actually started life on click wheel iPods? That app is one you might look into; it's a bit pricey, but worth it.
  8. Nivalwolf

Nivalwolf Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ha yeah I have it, got it in a sale. Gave up on it shortly. It just takes so long to scan the songs on my ipod, it started freezing.. I gave up. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  9. Nivalwolf

Nivalwolf Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well, there are some GB games though right? Infinity Blade 2? FF 7-9 take up 1.5 GB at most.

Oh and Gameloft games aren't good at all, that was my point, I regret some of the money I spent on them when I was younger.