Lil Help, Lil Help

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by Yo Yo Ma Holla, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Yo Yo Ma Holla

Yo Yo Ma Holla New Member

Im interested in tryin my hand at making my own theme, but ima need some help.

Now I know already your thinkin "google is your friend" and "try searching" or "we have tutorals on this" but i have yet to see a tutorial that really breaks some stuff down.

For example, I dont know what FTP or SSH into you iPod means, or how to do it.'

ALSO

whats the best photoshop program to use thats free to download.

also the appropriate steps then after.

If someone can break it down very simply i'd appreciate it, if you plan on relpying with an insult dont bother raising your post count.

Thank You!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Sol

Sol New Member

FTPing into your ipod is just geek speak for connecting to it directly, through the 'net. To do it you'll need a wireless connection at your disposal, and for your ipod to be jailbroken if it already isn't.

If/when connected to the internet through your ipod, go into the connection properties (The blue arrow next to the connection name in the settings,) and find the IP address. You'll use the IP address for FTPing into your ipod.

To FTP into your ipod, you'll need a FTP program that supports SSH (Which I believe is the protocol.) I use CuteFTP but there are others. Just google CuteFTP and you should find it easily. I use the home version, but some recommend Pro. From here, click "File > New > FTP Site". You can label it whatever you want. Input the IP Address. The login is "root" and the password is "alpine". The login method should be normal. After that, click "Connect" and you should be connected to your ipod. :]
    ------
    As for Photoshop replacement programs, there are plenty. The only one I've ever used and liked was GIMP. People also recommend paint.net and Paintshop Pro. You can get Photoshop for free as well, if you're crafty enough. Though I'd never distribute warez on a public forum.

Sadly enough, I have no idea how to make a theme, or even tried my hand at it. So this is where I end.

Hope I've been helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
  3. Yo Yo Ma Holla

Yo Yo Ma Holla New Member

Good man, Thanks alot for sharing what you DO know and breaking it down.
  4. Sol

Sol New Member

No problem, dude.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Andymans

Andymans New Member

Hi YoYo.
    I too am in the process of making my own theme. I have come accross a few probs on the way but I can tell you what I have managed to work out so far.
    I dont have photoshop and I dont know how to use photoshop either.
    So far I have just used a photo editing software for resizing and a little editing to the image.
    The images I got by hours of searching the web trying to find something similar to what I wanted as I dont know how to make the images myself.
    You can also get some ready made icons from downloading the themes that people have already made and opening them up on your computer to see the icons, but remember to say thankyou to the person who created them in the first place.
    I started with the wallpaper, that has to be 320x480 size
    The icons have to be 60x60 but some are 59x60
    I think you can go smaller if you want to but bigger would make them look like they are touching each other on the ipod.

Collect all the icons you need and put them into a folder called Icons with a capitol I.
    Oh yes, the icons have to be spelt with a capitol also...ie Settings not settings.

What I then did was to connect to my ipod as explained in the earlier post but I didnt ftp. I used another program which alows you to connect to the ipod with the usb cable.
    Its called Iphonebrowser and is a free download.
    http://www.iphone4world.com/?p=62

This allows you to see all the files on the ipod.
    I then just replaced all the icons and the wallpaper with Iphonebrowser.
    By replace I mean I put them into a theme I had downloaded of the sources. A spare one if you want to think of it that way so that If I messed it up I could just delete it of my pod.
    Dont overwrite the default one though, thats the original theme on your ipod.

Bingo, it worked.
    So I then borrowed a Dock of another theme to match what I was doing and used that.
    The problem I have now is to make the background of my icons transparent so they show up nice on the ipod and I have sked someone to do that for me.
    I havnt got any further than that yet but I have had a lot of fun doing it.
    Give it a try and you will get hooked very quickly.
  6. BPHacker

BPHacker New Member

Can you tell me where the default icons are located? By default, I mean the default icons that came with the device.

Thanks
  7. smoogs12

smoogs12 New Member

to get the defaults you go to this folder /Applications ,and it will give you a list of all of the applications that you have on your ipod. then once you click on one it will give you a list of files the one that is called icon.png is the default icon. hope this helps
  8. xacko93

xacko93 New Member

yeah i can't download gimp to my mac because i cannot find my x11 disc needed to "custom download" it. i would like if someone could pm a link or show me how to get photoshop the crafty way so plz pm. i can also help with what ever you need about themes i am very good with them just the finding a program to make icons is troubling.

THANKS
  9. steveo3

steveo3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    ipodouchmaster has vids of this on youtube