Review Light Wars

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by -tcq42-, Jun 6, 2009.

1. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

Light Wars
    The iPhone Version of Geometry Wars

Preface to Light Wars
    If you have ever played Geometry Wars from Xbox Live Arcade, you will find that Light Wars is like its iPhone twin and in no way is this a bad thing. When my friend first showed me Geometry Wars on his Xbox 360, my initial thoughts were, "is this Asteroids in color?" About five minutes later, I saw a screen that was filled with the colors of the rainbow in a brilliant exploding fireworks fashion. From that moment, I knew that I wanted a game like that. Two years later, I finally found that game in Light Wars. Light Wars is a simplistic 2D survival shooter that features endless enemies, colorful visuals, a wide arsenal of weapons, and is the perfect shooter to play on the go.

Yes, you're the round thing in the middle. And no, you're not out of shape. Round is a shape.​

Gameplay
    Let me get this out there right now. This game is a thrill. It's the most fun you can have with geometrical shapes on your iPhone. Period. If you're somehow unfamiliar with how this game works, here it goes.

You're the round shape thing and you control your movement with the left virtual analog stick on the bottom left hand side of the screen. The other analog stick fires your weapons. Depending on where you drag the right analog stick, your weapon will fire in that respective direction. There are four types of weapons in the game, three to unlock. You unlock weapons by killing certain enemies who drop them after they are eliminated. You also get bombs in your arsenal. You can also pick up more bombs as power-ups in the game as well as shields and health. To activate a bomb, shake your iPhone and every enemy on the screen will be blown to smithereens.

Everything outside of your own ship is an enemy. They come in the form of triangles, rhombuses, crosses, and just about every shape imaginable. There is no real goal to reach except get the highest score possible since this is a survival shooter. You have five lives to work with and every time an enemy crashes into you, a life is taken away from you. This five life limit really starts to make the more difficult as you progress further into the game. By the time you're at the score of around 20,000, enemies will start swarming you from every direction and the game becomes an epic battle filled with every color of the rainbow.

My highest score so far is around 50,000 and I actually consider that quite an accomplishment. Even with the difficulty, the game is a lot of fun. Through all the failures you will experience in this game, you will one day save the galaxy from all the evil shapes. Or you might not since this game never ends.

Bombs Away!​

Visuals
    The visuals of this game are very simple. You have a gird, you have a circular shape as the player and you have other shapes as enemies. However, Spokko really outdid themselves with the graphics of this game.

You might be thinking, how can a simple game like this have great graphics? Simple, you make the shapes colorful and detailed and you make cool explosions. People love explosions and when you set off a bomb, it looks like a sonic boom or an earthquake. When you kill an enemy, they explode into colorful pieces just like fireworks. The game makes shooting things and blowing stuff up beautiful and that's really hard to do. It doesn't have the polish that Geometry Wars possess in terms of visuals and effects, but can you really compare an iPhone to an Xbox 360?

This is what happens when you mess with me buddy.​

Replay Value
    Light Wars has an online leaderboard and you can challenge your friend via an email showing your score and etc. It doesn't have any great replay features that will blow you away, but the game itself should be enough to make you come back again and again. It's the perfect game to play for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Since it's best played in spurts, you can probably play this game any time and it will still entertain you.

The game has a lot of different powerups and each time you play, something different is bound to happen. You might get further in the game or you might screw up at the beginning. I honestly don't know how long I have played this game since I've never played it for more than 20 minutes at a time, but I've had it since release and I'm still playing it just about every day. It's definitely a great shooter to just pick-up and play.

675,000 just blew my score out of the water.

Minor Details
    The game's audio is very bland. It's one song looping over and over again. If you're not a fan of looping electronic music, they did provide a mute button for you. Unfortunately, you can't play music from your iPod while playing this game. Maybe they will include such a feature in a future update.

Another thing that kind of bothers me is that the game does not have a save feature. If you have an iPhone and a friend calls, the game does not save itself and you have to start all over again. What's more important? Answering a friend's call or playing this game? If you ask me, I might have to go with playing this game, especially if you're on a roll, but that's just me. However, I'm sure most people would want to talk to their friends because that might actually be more important. Other than these two little problems, the game is almost flawless.

This is like the Readme.txt...​

Final Thoughts
    Light Wars is a spectacular 2D survival shooter that should have you coming back again and again. Not only is the game fun, but it also features some great visuals. At only $1 it is definitely worth a look and should provide you with a lot of entertainment over the next couple of months. It needs some minor improvements that will hopefully be addressed in future updates. Otherwise, this game is a very worthy clone of Geometry Wars on the iPhone.

Ratings
    Gameplay: 9/10 Simple, yet fun. Has a bit of a learning curve.
    Visuals: 9.5/10 Colorful and very well polished.
    Audio: 6/10 Repetitive background music, but you can mute it. No ability to play your own music yet.
    Presentation: 9/10 User Interface is clean and very easy to find.
    Replay Value: 8.5/10 No great replay value features, but the it's a survival game so it should bring you back more often than not.
    Overall: 9/10 A great 2D shooter that will satisfy Geometry Wars fans everywhere.

Attached Files:

2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Another great review from -tcq42-. There's a few copies of Light Wars available in FF3 for some lucky winners

3. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

Great review tcq42. You just keep coming with these thorough and detailed reviews. I think many members benefit from your services. Good job and keep it up.
  4. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    :O I want it.. I'm going to buy now. Thank youu
  5. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have this game as well and I can agree with all your points. Very well-polished job.
  6. z1pper

z1pper New Member

Thanks for the review. Are there local high scores or just online only?
  7. Germany

Germany Banned

Great review. I think I might buy this now. Also, I like the ratings you did. Good explanations and overall score as well.
  8. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks

9. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Awesome review!
  10. PG2

PG2 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Quick question,

Could you please try to describe the sensitivity of the controls? If I buy it and it is very touchy, making it hard to play, I will be sad.