Lifeless iPod touch (2nd Generation)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cnhardwick, Sep 4, 2010.

1. cnhardwick

cnhardwick New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have been lurking and searching these forums for a weeks now and while I have found numerous threads on this topic none have helped me revive my lifeless iPod touch. They have however lead me to believe it must be a hardware failure and not a software problem caused by jailbreaking or upgrading to iOS 4 (when I started having issues). I say that because I have tried everything I can find on here, reseting, restoring, different cables, ports, computers, chargers, even reinstalling iTunes. Nothing has working or even shown a sign of life. My Apple warranty ran out a week or two before my iPod touch died

Please Register or Log in to view images

, so now I have a dead 2nd generation 8GB iPod touch on my hands. What should I do with it? Is it worth having repaired? If so where? Should I just sell it AS IS on eBay? Or is there something else I should try first? Thanks for your time.

P.S. I preordered a iPod touch 4 as I was going to upgrade anyway, this just happened to make a good excuse to do so.
  2. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well, on that case, I would suggest you to try restoring in DFU mode. You can search online for a tutorial or something on putting your iPod into DFU mode if you don't already know. If that doesn't solve the problem, then just sell it on eBay AS IS, and wait for your iPod Touch 4G.
  3. Dreaded

Dreaded New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It may be a battery issue in which the battery has run dry. If you need to extra money, you may sell it on eBay as is (especially since you already ordered the new iPod Touch).
  4. cnhardwick

cnhardwick New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Tried DFU restoring, nothing. (Unless I did it wrong, which is possible I suppose.)

I considered that. But if it was the battery would it work if it was plugged in?
  5. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Apple is sometimes cool about warranties. I remember bringing in my 1G 10 days after it's warranty and they replaced it. I'd take it back and see what they can do.
  6. Dreaded

Dreaded New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No, it's not that the battery needs to be recharged, it might need to be replaced because it can't hold any more "juice".
  7. cnhardwick

cnhardwick New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well it has been a good month now sense my warranty expired--I was on a trip when it failed on me so no immediate action was possible or I would have tried that. Besides that, there is no Apple Store in my state (Arkansas) so I would have to send it in for repair. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try, but it seems unlikely. If only it died a week earlier!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    What I meant was is it is plugged in if the power could bypass a failed battery the same way a laptop with bad battery would still work if plugged despite having a dead (or even no battery). But then I got to thinking about how when the battery was completely drained it would still have to sit and charge a few minutes before it would power on. I guess the battery is a must, so stupid question.

Is there anyway of knowing if it is the battery and not something worse? How hard is it to replace a battery? I know it is not easy.

EDIT: Don't you have to put a iPod touch into DFU mode to jailbreak it? (Just checking to make sure the method is the same.)
  8. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Replacing the battery is difficult. You have to get it repaired by Apple or other repair shops.
  9. ThePodofi

ThePodofi Well-Known Member

sell it as is
  10. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No one would buy a broken iPod Touch. It would go for a very small amount.