Life-changing pen

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by berky93, Apr 24, 2010.

1. berky93

berky93 New Member

I just made this fake advertisement for a Zebra F-301 pen as part of a two-week project for my animation class. Unfortunately due to some other work I had to do at the time I only had about 3 days to complete it. But luckily for me the guidelines were very open (create any still image) so I didn't need to reach far for my inspiration...this pen was in my pocket.

Pen created in 3ds max, document and handshake are images from google applied to objects within 3ds max. Blur and text were added in Photoshop.

Enjoy!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. SilentWalker

SilentWalker Retired Moderator

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That's actually really good.
  3. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I really like it.

Very nice job, keep it up.
  4. solidness

solidness Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Pretty good. But the handshake in the background is bothering me for some reason.
  5. Xii

Xii New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Looks pretty good but I agree with solidness; I think the hands might have too much blur.
  6. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    The hands are too obviously taken from Google Images, but who am I to criticize graphics when I ask everyone else to make them for me

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I agree with the second part of Kiks sentence, applied to myself.

Are the hands/arms even real? They almost look animated (like 2d animated) due to all the blur.

What's so special about the pen anyways?
  8. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It's not a real pen is what I understand from the OP... which means holy crap we can't trust anything now. lol
  9. raincloud

raincloud New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  10. berky93

berky93 New Member

Yeah the hands have always bothered me. They are just an image from google images, I didn't have nearly enough time to create a model for them. But the lens blur looks strange on them probably because the z-depth map that max created saw them as one flat object, which means the blur doesn't vary accurately. Plus the shading on the hands is different than the lighting in the scene.

Oh well, the pen is the main focus of the image, so as long as that looks good I'm satisfied.

And Vince, there's really nothing special about that particular pen. I just needed some quick inspiration so I could get started, and I'd already been toying with the idea of modeling that pen anyways (the grip, though blurred in the image, has an interesting shape that I wanted to figure out how to make. generally for things like this I don't like using bump maps to create the textured surfaces,I think they just don't provide realistic enough results.