LHC: Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by Masky64, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Masky64

Masky64 New Member

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/09/first-beam-circ.html

Today was the first experiment of the LHC particle smasher. The first high-energy collisions will happen on October 21st.

Many scientists working on this project have stated that "there is no conceivable threat", or "particle collisions happen all the time".

What do you think? Will the LHC destroy the world or will it make our lives better?

I have mixed thoughts on it, I'm sort of worried and concerned about this experiment, and I'm also thinking that it will help us humans evolve.
  2. DotSlashSlash

DotSlashSlash Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    i think everyone is being very stupid about this experiment, the media has made the 'end of the world ' story completely out of proportion, the possibility of the black is like 0.000001/100 its more likely we will find another dimension then the black hole happening...

also if the world ends.. oh well its exciting beecause its not like half of use will survive all of us will be gone so i dont matter.

the experiment is as important as finding the first atom, it will be BIG history and they might be able to make quantum computers with it which work out massive (i mean massive) equations in no time at all because they will be able to mess with time and space,

sounds silly but its all true and we are really close to a massive discovery
  3. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The experiments happening in the LHC happen everyday above our planet. Particles from the sun collide with particles in our atmosphere at much higher energy rates with no black holes forming. They're simply doing it in an environment they can study it in. It is perfectly safe.
  4. tian_kr

tian_kr New Member

anything that can go wrong, will go wrong
  5. elzzigB

elzzigB Banned

I don't see how it can makes our lives better. It can make Christians feel better about themsevles or jsut make them believe that science is fake, as usual.