Letting it Die

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DumaKey1212, Oct 14, 2008.

1. DumaKey1212

DumaKey1212 New Member

I think I heard a while back that you aren't supposed to let Lithium-Ion batteries die. I wanted to find out from a reputable source so does anyone know if letting the iPod touch die fully (as to where it won't turn back on without having to charge) damages the battery and makes the overall iPod not last as long
  2. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

yes
    it is good to let your ipod fully die out, then make a fresh recharge
    this is good battery care
    look on the apple website if you don't believe
    i do it 1 or 2 times weekly
  3. mclaurin10

mclaurin10 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Actually he is wrong, your only supposed to do that if you dont use your device often.
  4. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Apple advises you do it once per month ONLY - which is the point that manram24 apparently missed when reading the page, if he did.

Please Register or Log in to view images

The reason you don't want to do it too often is because you only get 400 full charging cycles before the battery loses about 20% of its total capacity... and while partial charges only count as a partial cycle (you charge up 10%, you lose only 0.10 cycle of a 400-cycle lifetime), a full charge is a full charge.. which means if you drain it twice weekly, and you've got say, 3-4 total cycles worth of partial charges in a month, you'll be using 11-12 total charge cycles a month... which means, if you're not going to be buying an iPod every 18 months, that by year two you'll see a significant drop in total battery life, and year three will have the battery lose 20% of its total capacity no matter how much you try to fix things by doing a full drain and recharge.

Partial charges are fine, although I suggest making sure you charge until it tops off, and then do the drain once per month per Apple's battery care suggestions.
  5. DumaKey1212

DumaKey1212 New Member

Also, is it in any way bad to let the iPod overcharge?
  6. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

oh my bad
    i usually do that
    and it's fine
    sorry
  7. ash09

ash09 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Don't think so.
    I read that the iPod will charge its battery until it is full, then disconnects the battery from the charger---leaving your iPod to run only on external power. If you keep it charging after the battery is full, the charged battery will eventually need to be recharged (since iPod is running off AC, not charging the battery), but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

8. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

And then you can take it to Apple for replacement

9. DumaKey1212

DumaKey1212 New Member

Are you kidding Fear about the previous comment from you or are you serious?
  10. wormyalon

wormyalon New Member

There is NO good reason to drain your ipod down to the point where it shuts off. Apple defines a "full charge cycle" a specific way for a good reason, and they mean it according to their definition when they say to do at least 1 cycle a month. Doing one cycle a month, according to apples definition can consist entirely of partial charges, and there's no reason why it shouldn't. The purpose behind doing at least one cycle a month is to keep the electrons moving to maintain the batteries "broken in" status, is has nothing to do with charge level, it only has to do with actually using the battery. While running it down to the point where the ipod shuts off isn't necessarily bad it is in no way good and going out of your way to drain it completely would be silly.

There is absolutely no benefit to be had from intentionally draining the battery, as long as you're using it on a regular basis there's no reason to drain it all the way.