Let's make it ra1n!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brendanm, Oct 16, 2009.

1. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Hey,

So I have an iPhone 3G. Some of you may have read my posts about it being 'bricked', so to speak. Well, I fixed that, it's all good now... Although I thought all hope was lost, I'm a little worried about attempting this again, next time I might not get so lucky. But, can someone tell me exactly what I'm doing wrong? I've had it jailbroken on 3.0 til the end of the summer, when I swapped phone's with Rogers because mine was declared defective. Here's what I did, and here's what I'm trying now:

Plug in,
    Close iTunes,
    Make it Ra1n,
    Get's stuck on iTunes Logo with USB Cable....

So, what do I do? I fixed it now, it's not plugged in and I'm on the phone

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I'm assuming you are on a PC?

Isn't there an iTunes helper that you need to be sure is closed? Not sure if that would do it but just a thought.
  3. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    1. Run Blackra1n in Admin mode all other stuff closed.
    2. As soon as the ipod shuts off when entering recovery mode press and hold the Home and Power.
    3 When the Apple logo appears let go of the Power and hold until you see GeoHot. It won't take long but be patient.

The just let it reboot and your good.
  4. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Yeah, I'm on PC. I didn't have to do that to jailbreak the 2G iPod Touch I have?

I tried your method, jpga13 and it pretty near bricked my phone... Again. You know, I got stuck in a loop of iTunes logo and USB cable, with that said, I wasn't able to use the phone period for about two hours... No matter how many times I tried restarting it, it just looped it. Then, I decided to go to a different PC and run blackra1n and it booted it up, so I did a restore just in-case something went wrong.

I'm all good now, let's try something else... I'm half tempted to just downgrade to 3.0 and jailbreak with redsn0w, but at the moment I can't do any jailbreaks... Laptop was just picked up and sent for repairs, and that's what I use to sync. I'm waiting to get a desktop, then I can use that as my main computer, they don't crash as often from what I understand.
  5. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    You didn't nearly brick you phone for starters and of all the methods that are out there that was the only one we tested that really worked. I'm guessing you aren't doing it properly or have computer issues. We jailbroke nearly every device made and the 3g iPhone was the only one with issues and that method does work.

If it sticks on the usb graphic all you have to do is hold both buttons and it will reboot back into normal mode. If that doesn't work maybe you have home button issues.
  6. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Technically did brick it, I wasn't able to do anything with it. It's all good, I'm not blaming anyone or mad, it's my own stupidity for rushing into things... I was in a rush to get it done before I went to my friends and so-on, laptop was dying, ran into numerous problems... I think it was the laptop that was the problem, it's gone for repairs as it had some obvious problems and now I got my desktop back from repairs but don't have iTune's and I'm on dial-up at the moment but I can still go give it a shot.

Can someone send me the blackra1n link? Will it work without iTunes? I'm thinking it might work better without iTunes, don't have to worry about the services coming up or anything.

If it comes down to it, I have an older version something above 8.0 I believe from the summer that I could install from a disc.
  7. JIMIneitor

JIMIneitor Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    well, AFAIK blackra1n uses iTunesMobileDevice.dll to do the JB, but anyways you could give it a try.

also, do you know a page called Google.com? i think it could help you A LOT
  8. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    True, I knew there was something it used to do it, just wasn't sure what.

Easy, don't need to get smart now. I've used google, resources are limited on dial-up for one and for two I think I know enough about this area to not bother using google.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I'm installing iTunes 8.1 now, it's the copy I had on disc.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Another update... Installed iTunes 8, tried your method and here's where the problem came in... Everything worked until I got to a black screen, on that black screen it stayed on it for a little bit, just nothing, just black lit up... So I un-plugged and restarted, not jailbroken. Never got to the GeoHot face, and before I restarted blackra1n said it was complete.
  9. axmasta

axmasta New Member

I'd say just wait until you can get rid of all variables.

-Get ahold of iTunes 9 and install it; I don't know nearly enough about the blackra1n development timeline to say that 8 might be causing a problem, but its worth trying 9 to be sure.

Two nights ago I B-ra1n'd my sisters 1G Touch and it took a little over a minute. I don't even think I closed iTunes.

Forgive me if this is redundant, but have you tried a different USB port? Its insane how many problems switching ports can fix.

If all else fails, call a buddy with broadband. Blackra1n is like 2Meg or something? Get over to their house, It'll take 3 mins. of chill time and then you're good to go.
  10. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Well I've got further on the desktop I'm on now with Windows XP Home Edition and iTunes 8, than I did with Vista Home Premium and iTunes 9!

On the Vista machine, my laptop, I made it ra1n on my 2G Touch and it took about 15 seconds to 30 seconds and it was all done, then all I had to do was go up to my friends house and steal his WiFi and get Rock!

I have blackra1n on my desktop now, it's not even 2MB's, it's 603KB's! Unless there's a new version? I'll download anything 10MB and under on dial-up... That's not a problem.

Problem I'm facing now is my laptop went for repairs, so now all I've got is the desktop with XP!

Yeah, I've tried it on two difference machines and tried all four USB ports on laptop, and the two on the front of my desktop and the four on the back... Nothing changed.