Leopard Usb install help

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by deleted account 11, May 31, 2008.

1. Any help is apprectiated.

Im having some trouble with installing leopard on my external and then booting.

I have:

HP Pavilion Media Center TV m8000n
    and a external 160 gb hard drive.

amd 5200
    sse3
    2 gig ram
    500 gb sata hd. (will i need to unplug this? so the boot thing will load of the external?)

And i know i can boot off usb because when i go into boot menu it shows usb.

I have pretty much all the patched isos. I have kalaway, leo4all, zeprith(or however you spell it) and some other ones i think. downloaded all of them. i got leopard working on my upstairs computer witch was intel and was really easy but i want to get it for downstairs.

Im wondering which one i should use.

And i just want to be clear with the installation

Make a partition 30gb fat32 and then restart computer. boot off burned patched mac 10.5.0or1or2. then go into disk utility format that 30gb fat32 hard drive to mac journaled set it to master boot record or what ever. Then install it on that partition. Then restart computer and boot off usb.

Please help me with correcting everything i said wrong.

Thanks!
  2. drakie

drakie New Member

I read up a little on this before i installed leopard, and for the record i think kalyway is the best, i tried iatkos and had issues but kalyway is working fine. But back to the point, i wanted to install os x on my external. But i think the only bit of useful information i found from google was that leopard could not boot from usb..... but could from firewire.
    I highly doubt thats true, if it can be done on the other it should be possible on both.
    If you have the time give it a go and see if it works, if everything is formatted correctly and you set the boot right it could work, but you MAY have speed issues, have you not thought about and alternative, maybe just using a small partition on your internal and using your external to store all the files that are not system files. Or using a virtual pc?
    Let me know how it all goes though

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Thanks for responding so quickly but my problem is that the computer is my parents. I know people have done it because i have seen it on the tube. I have already used a virtual pc but its crap. and its not slow at all for usb because i have done it with another computer but i need it for this computer. I will definately tell you how it goes though. I will will post my results or my problems later tonight.
  4. drakie

drakie New Member

Your best bet is to crawl forums, i knew it could be done, but how and how hard i didn't. Like i say the firewire thing is bull, and you would have speed issues if you had an older external (an old hdd in an enclosure like most people).
    I have managed it in linux and XP, but OS X is a lot different and i haven't really had much experience with the file systems and what not.
    Just keep an eye out for errors, if you get one, search for it and you will more than likely get the answer, i got most the answers for my problems from insanely mac, but there are a lot of mac users here so your covered.
  5. That is exactly what i have been doing for the last 30 minutes. Im just waiting for my kalaway disc to finish burning. Then i can get into the action.

i found a good tutorial.

http://pcwizcomputer.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=32

check it out if you want.
  6. drakie

drakie New Member

Nice one! I have just installe leapord today so i will have a play around with it and then do this some time in the week i think, keep me up to date on it all.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. ya i will. tell me what happens in yours to. also what system do you have?
  8. update**

well i tried the kalaway dvd and i got still waiting for root device. i couldnt get past it no matter what. I tried -s,-f,-y all those things. nothing. im going to try the zeprith one. havent tried that one yet.