Learning how to use VNC. Help please

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by Jared0830, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Jared0830

Jared0830 New Member

Hello everyone,
    I just bought an Ipod touch 32g gen2 and it is my first apple product. Needless to say I have a lot to learn. I downloaded mocha vnc lite from the app store and tightvnc to my vista computer and have successfully gotten them to connect,but only when they are connected to the same wireless signal. However, My goal and main intrest in doing this is to be able to access my computer from other places. For example, If my computer is up and running at my house on my wireless how can I access it on my itouch when I am at my grandparents house and my itouch is connected to there wireless. Thanks for any help.
  2. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I don't think it will work over the internet.
  3. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    While I think Jaadu VNC is expensive costing $25 , I think it is a great buy for VNC, probably the best for iPhone/iPod. Better from Mocha from what I've read.

This is (In a nutshell) what you want to do:

1. Open a port on your computer for the VNC application to gain access to your computer (This is done in your router's settings) Make sure it is same port as you set in TightVNC on your computer.
    2. On your iPod/iPhone, set up an access point (Or connection, whatever it is called)
    3. Enter your computer's IP address (Not local address)
    4. Enter the port that you opened.
    5. You SHOULD be good to go, unless you set a password on TightVNC.

EDIT: I haven't used Mocha VNC Lite, so I do not know how to use it/Know if it can even globally connect. This is the usual method for using VNC, though. I do it this way with Jaadu.

Everybody else, tell me if I'm missing something.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. ElectricBuffalo

ElectricBuffalo New Member

Back when I used Mocha VNC Lite (I use Jaadu now because it's way better and easier to connect with), I was able to connect over other networks. Basically what you need to do is find out your router's WAN IP (whatismyipaddress.com is a quick and easy tool for this). Then, in Mocha VNC you type in your WAN IP rather than your LAN IP, along with the correct ports and other information. If you have VNC up and running on your PC, it should connect without much problem (even if you are on the same wireless connection). If you have a bunch of security and firewalls you may have to bypass them, though.

Also, please be aware that most internet providers change your IP from time to time. So every once in a while you will have to check your WAN IP and make sure it hasn't changed. If it has you simply have to re-enter the information.

If you buy Jaadu VNC (yes, I realize it's $25), you can avoid all of this. They have a program you install that runs alongside your PC's VNC program and allows you to connect from anywhere without remembering IP addresses or that sort of information.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    P.S. - Basically Bubalooshi said the same thing as me, but in fewer words lol. You might also have to follow his advice and open up ports on your router for VNC as well. I don't think I have had to thus far. In fact, to use Jaadu, I had to go into my router settings and delete the VNC port forwarding settings.
  5. Jared0830

Jared0830 New Member

I went ahead and bought Jaadu and followed the installation steps but it is telling me on my computer when I run Jaadu that UPnP / PMP is not detected and to configure my router. I have been trying but i am lost.
  6. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Nonsense! FTP is over Wi-Fi so why wouldn't VNC be?

I would recommend UltraVNC no setting up needed just download and install.
    http://www.uvnc.com/
  7. loukas77

loukas77 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    WinAdmin

It's for another app (WinAdmin) but i didn't wann to post a new toppic. I bought the winadmin app but i'm having problems connecting to my pc. I run WinXP home but i have done the "trick" to allow remote desktop. When i try to connect i get an error that says: "Connection Failure. Could not establish a connection to the new server"

I don't know what i'm doing wrong. If anyone can tell me what to put on the blanks (on the set up a new server page) hostname, username, password and domain. Thank you.

8. ipNinja

ipNinja New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Yes you can use it over the internet, make sure you have port forward what ever port VNC is using( usualy 5900) on your router and get it to redirect to the pc you wish to view/control.

Connect to your external IP, if it is set up correctly it will do this:

external IP( e.g 82.118.56.26) --> router (e.g 192.168.1.x) redirect ot internal PC --> 192.168.1.5