iOS 4.0 Learn the impossible or "hard to do" about iPhone OS

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Shadowriver, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Since i know that this community believe in myths and magic about Apple mobile products (if you don't like how i call it read as "rumors from nowhere") i want to point out few things before you guys go yell about impossible or hard to imaged i possible in very easy way things

1) FM radio

2 things here

a) Fact that wireless chip supports that does not mean it's possible, i didn't follow iPhone tech lately but if there no confirmation on existence of separate FM radio antenna (since each radio tuner what ever it is it need separate antenna) it means there no conformation that iPhone hardware supports that. iPoT G1 one had chip that support BT... but it didn't have anthena

b) We currently on Analog -> Digital switching era, old analog TV on analog PAL/NTSC signals are switched to DVB/ATSC, also FM radio suppose to switch to from analog FM to digital technology called DAB (or even internet radio). So as i know Apple, i hardly belive they will invest on near dying radio standard.

2) Wifi n

Don't hide don't hide i seen you saying this
    This is impossible with software... Wifi n needs hardware for it

UPDATE it might be possible if readio head can be set to wifi n frequency

3) Flash

Jobs said big fat NOOOOOOOOOO! ... so NO

Also you might not know but Apple with Google are main editors of HTML5 standard (Apple is also main developer of WebKit, currently most advanced HTML engine used in both Apple and Google products, and few other companies) and both obisly will try to promote it. Flash is masking HTML5 glory and existence of Flash come from oldness of HTML4 that we use today. By not releseing Flash they expose that issue of requirement of doing to Adobe and pay for (usually crappy)port of Flash to have full power of Internet, HTML5 would solve that problem

As fan of HTML 5 i think it good choose and will bring only a goodness in matter of time

Please Register or Log in to view images

4) 3G 8GB

I think this name is same sickness as "iTouch" name and make a lot of disinformation... like now

When i watched 3G iPoT annoucment Jobs said that they will keep old gen iPod (YES, 2G!) and sell it cheaper so you can get iPoT for cheaper price.

You guys created it that name (all xG names are made by users not Apple) and now drink beer that you made.

5) Possibility too run 4.0 on unsupported models (most importent!)

Hardware is handled by software using kernel, it got all drivers and everything, there 2 things that make changes kernel too sepreate versions... software evolution and hardware evolution.

Software evolution happens with every firmware version

Hardware evolution happens with every generation of iPhone OS hardware

Every difference in this sphere generates a sperete kernel and those kernels form a two-dimensional grid of kernel versions, they are highly related:

-Hardware needs software to support it

-Software need most current kernel to support newest APIs

It means if kenel for specific hardware and firmware is not been compiled that specific firmware wont run on specific hardware, and only Apple can compile it since they only one haveing a source code and deliver it. So (sorry to say) you can't get this from your ass from some kind of void that people call hacking. Kernel is complicated and hard to be hacked to magically support some hardware...

If oyu don't understand here some halpful example of iPhone kernels that existed and avable publicly:
    Code:
            1   2   3   4
    2G      X   X   X   
    3G          X   X   X
    3GS             X   X

NOTE: i simplified firmware versions

now few examples:

-You won't run 1.0 on 3G iPhone since it got different GSM modem and 1.0 kernel don't have a driver for it
    -You can't run 4.0 on on 2G since Apple didn't release the kernel for it and this kernel is require for newest APIs and without it it won't support newest features.

JB is a old thing already (3 years) and in history i didn't seen anybody did something that require interference to kernel:

-Unlocking BT on iPoT with 2.0 firmware
    -Ability to downgrade iPhone 3G to 1.0 ot 3GS to 2.0
    -Run your magical FM radio that everybody talk about here

So i really don't see that it will happen, besides 4.0 features kills JB a little bit like so i don't see hacker bother that.

Only Apple have power to make kernel for specific hardware and software, you can't make Kernel from your ass without a source code

You know why Linux is most ported OS on planet? since it's most popular Os with a kernel that is open sourced

But plz don't cry, hardware getting old and it was matter of time that it will get obsolete, just live with it, also you got JB and i hear that iP 3G iPoT 3G considering staying in 3.0,
    Im also 1G user and i was expect that this will happen with 4.0 since now Apple have better mobile hardware on the move and old would limit them, but im not crying about it and you are not alone

6) PLZ watch full keynote, live blogs miss lot of impotent information that you wondering and you can see things in action (like iAds that are not very bad at all, they even fun), i always prefer them then live blogs and after watching i simply supprice that people asking things that was said in keynote!!!!

So this is it, i hope this will help you to guess what is possible or not... and plz if you have information from nowhere... don't spread it, it only make misinformation that i call "myths"
  2. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    btw, the ipt3g and i THINK the 3gs HAS a WiFi N chip.
  3. Shadowriver

Device:
    iPod touch
    "I THINK" Thats exactly a problem, if you finds at least chip name i might confirm it for you (and us) with valid source

I'm soon going to sleep so i might not reply fast
  4. Samphotog

Samphotog Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah he's right it does. Also check your grammar and spelling if you are going to take the time to write a long post.
  5. Johannes Deegen

Johannes Deegen Community Development

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    yeah the ipt3g and 3gs have a wifi n card AND a FM Radio, just waited to be activated.
  6. tanktan38

tanktan38 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks for clearing that up. But, some of the things you said were guesses... Just making sure everone knows that.
  7. Alpacaman

Alpacaman New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  8. Shadowriver

Device:
    iPod touch
    Sorry, Im not native English and i also need to go to sleep soon

I will check newest hardware specs tommorow and i will update article, if you have any links proofing that plz post it here

Also keep in mind that Wifi n needs more then one antenna!!
  9. tanktan38

tanktan38 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Lol that made my night

there are constantly people viewing and posting on this forum, obvisouly because they just had a keynote.

EDIT: Just stop and look. There are, like, 100 people viewing this section and all the other sections have an above average amount of viewers. That explains why the site is just a bit slower than usual.
  10. Shadowriver

Device:
    iPod touch
    I used my electronical knowledge that i learned in technical school

And i know few rules of radio:

-Each tuner need a separate tuning head and antenna

-You can't recive and tramit from/to few diffrent frequencies useing one tuning head and anthenna, you need another pair of them ( you might happen to meet "Dual head" TV tunners for recording one channel and viewing another... now you know why they are named like that

)

also wifi n needs more then one anthena (i think it need 3) if chip is connected to 1 i don't think so it will run wifi n

Also keep in mind that turning head is usually outside of chip