Leaked: 2011 Intel SSD, Sandy Bridge CPU Roadmap

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by qaiz, Aug 15, 2010.

1. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)

Please Register or Log in to view images

Slides showing Intel's Roadmap have been leaked and have purportedly revealed the company's plans for it's Sandy Bridge CPU'S and expanded SSD lineup for 2011. Here it is.

According to MacBidouille the roadmap allegedly reveals a full 19 notebook and desktop processors, all of which are shipping in 2011.The list consists of several "Very Low- Power" options, ranging from a 35W 2.5GHz dual Core i3 to a Quad-Core lineup that includes a 65W 2.5GHz Core i5 S. The later quad-core processor line tops out at 3.4GHz Core i7 (with Turbo-Boosted 3.8GHz)

On the flip side, the Nootbooks have nothing too remarkable aside from a few minor upgrades to existing lines. Dual-Cores will hit 2.5, 2.6 and 2.7GHz (the two former being i5, latter being i7). Quad-Cores will remain in the domain of desktops, as obviously they are too energy Hungry to be effective in a portable notebook factor. "Desktop replacement" notebook behemoths are still a go, however, should that computing path blow your hair back.

Here's a visual aide for more info:

As for SSD news, the roadmap simply confirms what Intel has already promised in the past.
    Mainly, that we will see release for a budget X25-E drives (Up-to 400GB, and an increase to 600GB for the X25-M line. Other improvement include a 160GB boost to the X18-M and PCI Express SS named "Soda Creek" Launching at 80GB
  2. Person

Person Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Um wow... Intel is pissing me off now.

Their processors are the best on the market! BUT No one in the whole world can tell the difference between 2.6 GHz and 2.8 GHz during normal usage or even during gaming.

Any why can't they keep their naming simple:

Desktops:
    Core i3: Mainstream dual core CPUs
    core i5: High end quad core CPUs
    Core i7: Enthusiast Hex core CPUs

and laptops:
    Core i3: Mainstream dual core CPUs
    Core i5: High end dual core CPUs
    Core i7: Mobile quad-core power.

But instead, they have to confuse people by making 2-4 core i5s, and 2-6 core i7s.

And they confuse people with their graphics specs too: "Up to 1796MB of shared memory". And I can't tell you how many people think that's way better than a 256MB dedicated card.

They need to step up their graphics with Sandy Bridge. Their integrated chips aren't bad... On paper. But their drivers suck ass, since they have software pipeline emulation and they put graphics load on the CPU.

nvidia and ATI have better integrated graphics solutions, giving decent power as well as efficiency. Intel graphics give crap power, and crap efficiency.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I'd take an AMD CPU + ATI IGP graphics over an Intel CPU with Intel graphics any day, even if they Intel CPU was much faster.

The integrated ATI gfx would be more important to a user interface.
  3. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    So I'd assume in the next MBP update they'd give the highest end 15inch and 17 inch a 2.8 GHz dual core i7-640M (With Max turbo 3.46 GHz).

Then the lowest end 15' would get:

Core i5-540M (2.53 GHz, Turbo 3.06 GHz), and the mid-range one would get a 2.66 GHz Core i7.

All of that would be fine, but a $200 price drop would help

And they need better graphics cards and display resolutions...