Latest Installer Update; Ok to install, or bad idea?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Noisemaker, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

I just opened Installer for the first time in over a month to see if it would work at all, and got a message saying an update is available. Now, I know quite a few people got spinning wheels of death and other major issues from installing the last update.

Is this update safe, or should I just cancel and get rid of installer all together?
  2. batman27returns

batman27returns Banned

Just ignore the update and hide installer with "Poof" from Cydia.
  3. Aprosamurai

Aprosamurai Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Do you have mobile substrate? If so go ahead you wont get the swod if you do you will go into safe mode so reboot and no problem.

EDIT: It's not crashing lol. For once I've had it open for more than a minute and no issues so far lol.
  4. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Last I looked, you wouldn't even GET into MobileSubstrate with Installer, as the crash happened before the SpringBoard even loaded. Plus, Installer has a tendency to INSIST you remove anything Cydia-related (WinterBoard, Mobile Substrate) because it wants to be the only thing you have. Sorta like a certain Seattle company.

Besides, generally the rule of thumb is 'if Installer updates or changes, it dies'.
  5. Aprosamurai

Aprosamurai Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    lol I left before I could edit it again. It crashed and I went to springboard and it went into safe mode so it's not nor has it ever been worth it lol. Back to cydia heaven or bed whatever comes first.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. iPhoneFTW

iPhoneFTW New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Even though I'm not a fan of Installer now, I think people have become too ignorant to even notice improvement now
  7. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

I see Installer's back on target, then. I'm just surprised you got into MobileSubstrate Safe Mode. Hell, I'm wondering why Installer has to screw around with the SpringBoard in the first place when its job is only to manage programs and to put them into the /Applications folder and set the permissions on them.