Late '08 Unibody RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by Awesome, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    On This site it says it can go up to 8GB memory on my 2.0Ghz MacBook. Which should i get? I currently have the standard 2 1GB DIMM RAM in there.

Thanks,

Awesome
  2. SeeFreaky

SeeFreaky New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    It's incorrect. The Late '08 Unibody Macbooks can only go up to 6 GB DDR3 ram at max.
  3. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Would a upgrade to 6GB make a speed difference on snow leopard? If so where could I find a cheaper buy? Also, can I use a time capsule as an external HD? Or should I upgrade to a 500GB HD? But at the same time I want to have a backup and router too... Help me decide please!
  4. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Unless you absolutely need 6GB of RAM, two 2GB DIMMs (4GB) will more than suffice, and will be much cheaper. You can use the TimeCapsule as an external HD, but don't get unless you need wireless backup. A massive 1TB external drive can be had for $100 or so, considerably cheaper than a 1TB TimeMachine.
  5. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ok thanks, I decided I am going to use the 4GB upgrade and find a cheaper deal on the 1TB Time capsule. And snow leopard will be able to use all 4GB since it's 64 bit right? Is the 08 unibody 2.0ghz considered outdated? I am 13 and I had to save up 1,300 for it. And then 2 months later the new MacBooK. Pro came out. So I am trying to upgrade it as high as possible. Sorry for the long post I'm tryin to explain as short as I can. I am on my iPod touch so it's kinda hard to type.
  6. Axis

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Leopard and Snow Leopard can utilize all 4GB.

Your MacBook is "outdated", but it's still I great machine. I have a late 2008 MacBook Pro (15"). It's no longer the latest and greatest, but it runs like brand new and I am more than satisfied with it.
  7. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Should I sell mine and get a refurb late 08 15" pro from apple? My hard drive is getting eaten up by all my Photoshop stuff, movies and games.
  8. Axis

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    If you just need more hard drive space, get a new hard drive. If you need / want a discrete graphics card, larger screen, faster processor, etc. get the refurb Pro.

I don't know what the cost of the refurb late 08 Pro is, nor do I know how much money you could feasibly get for a late 08 MB.
  9. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    K thanks so much for your help, I will be thinking about it.

Please Register or Log in to view images