laptop/desktop RAM

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by berky93, Feb 4, 2009.

1. berky93

berky93 New Member

I have had my laptop for a few omnths now, and I noticed that the RAM wasnt quite enough for my needs. its an HP laptop. I used to have a desktop, also an HP, and it had about twice the rRAM my laptop has. my question is, can I take the RAM out of my old desktop and move it into my laptop?
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I doubt it. Because of different RAM types. That and size.
  3. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Only if you HP was one of those small form factor ones. Like the little skinny ones that are made to be placed under the monitor. Those often use laptaop sized memory. If ti was a normal desktop then no way.

Also you need to check up on your laptop and see what kind of ram it needs. A google search or your laptop model along with the word RAM, or Memory will usually tell you this if you dont want to open it up.
  4. berky93

berky93 New Member

yeah its a big desktop. oh well, I'll just buy some RAM. I wonder how many chips my laptop supports? only one way to find out! well actually 2 ways, but one isnt fun.
  5. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    If you go on the website of a RAM seller such as crucial, you should be able to select your computer model and all compatible RAM will be listed.
  6. berky93

berky93 New Member

thanks i'll do that. are there any brands in particular you guys would suggest that has good chips?
  7. drkassassin

drkassassin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    brands hardly matter..go for the best price if you ask me
  8. River

River New Member

Go to http://crucial.com and get the CORRECT ones, for your rig. Don't be guessing and blowing money on the wrong stuff.
  9. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I dont know why everyone loves crucial so much. They are overpriced and you can get chips with better timings for less from other companies.

Your big choices are PNY, Corsair, Crucial, and G.Skill. Take your time and look into them before you buy.