kickstart the 2.0 jailbroken apps industry

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by Lyz, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Lyz

Lyz New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but I and willing to donate a few dollars to the first person who creates a 2.0 jailbroken app, I hope this will make a devolper reealize some sort of rewritten code within 2.0 apps, hopefully boosting the production of 2.0 apps. Anyone with me?
  2. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz New Member

It is bound to happen as soon as the devs release a jailbreak. All sorts of apps will be storming in sooner or later. Everyone was too impatient and jumped on the expensive 2.0 appstore bandwagon

Please Register or Log in to view images

I can wait
  3. HotBrownies

HotBrownies New Member

the jailbreak needs to come out soon. because without that we cant take the 2.0 apps and analyze them. we need to be able to disect the 2.0 apps too see what makes them different, then we cant start building the jailbroken apps to mimick the 2.0 build
  4. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Erica Sadun ported nearly all her apps (some that wouldn't be approved by Apple, like Banner) to 2.0. Check it out here.

When opening an App Store application, you'll see iTunesArtwork, iTunesMetadata.plist, and Payload. iTunesArtwork most likely tells iTunes to show the icon in the Applications folder. iTunesMetadata.plist tells iTunes who bought the app, who made the app, links to it, links to icons, etc.

The payload folder contains the actual .app file. Inside the app file are all the .pngs needed, the Info.plist, the Executable (usually the name of the app, in this case, it is "Light"), PkgInfo, Default and icon, _CodeSignature, a shortcut to CodeResources, ResourceRules.plist, an SCInfo file, and a Settings.bundle.

In a regular 2.0 application, not on the app store, the only things in the file are simply the Default, icon, Info.plist, executable, PkgInfo, and various images. In this case, I'm using Vista.app by Erica Sadun.

The differences between the 2 are merely for the App Store, DRM, etc. They are _CodeSignature, the shortcut to CodeResources, ResourceRules.plist, an SCInfo file, and a Settings.bundle. Settings.bundle merely adds a field to the Preferences application for Light. Usually this is just a legal page and sometimes has UISliders, etc. _CodeSignature contains the CodeResources file. CodeResources tells what is in the file, and even in the Settings.bundle (Legal.plist and Root.plist). ResourceRules.plist is a portion of the CodeResources file stating the rules... not really sure what this does.

The SCInfo file contains 2 files: [App Name Here].sinf and [App Name Here].supp. The first one contains information on who purchased the app. My name is in my copy of the .plist. The second file contains Apple's FairPlay Certificate.

That's it!
  5. Lyz

Lyz New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    even though wat sfk said sounded hard, it seems as if all the extra .plists and things are for identifying who has download the app, as well as the info that is kept in apples database- does this mean that whoever downloads it and outs in a few extra plists so it can be used in installer is tracked, could apple possibly ban them from itunes and there ipod account?, i dont think so
  6. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Funny how you can call this an industry since so many illegal things are going on.

And no one is making any money whatsoever off of this.
  7. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Probably.
  8. Lyz

Lyz New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i couldnt think of a better word tes

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. trejo818

trejo818 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    are you making money on the appstore right now or are you losing money
  10. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Do you know what I'm talking about? The App Store is regulated and has protection for the rights of it's developer. They can charge for their applications and make money.

On the hand of Installer, there is no protection. You are free to do what you please. Anything can be put on Installer, anything can be done to the Apps on Installer.

The App Store is what Installer wishes it could be. Regulated, Neat, Stable, and Organized.