KENKEN: Train Your Brain Review

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by steve19137, Jul 6, 2009.

1. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

KENKEN: Train your Brain Review

Please Register or Log in to view images

App Name: KENKEN: Train your Brain
    Version: 1.1.0
    Seller: Capcom Interactive, Inc.
    Price: $4.99
    Requirements: Compatible with iPod Touch and iPhone. Requires iPhone OS 2.2.1 or later.
    Reviewed On: iPod Touch First Generation, Running iPhone OS 3.0 Jailbroken.

Review:
    Based on the puzzle by Will Shortz, KENKEN: Train Your Brain gives you the enjoyment of a good puzzle, without having to carry around a pencil and paper. Based on the revolutionary puzzle SuDoKu, this game combines math, logic, and entertainment all into a $4.99 package.

When you open the app and select "Play", you will be confronted with three options. The first one will give you a tutorial on how to play the game. In this tutorial, a character named Tetsuya Miyamoto will teach you how to play. Next, there is a Free Play option. This will alow you to chose your skill level, then a chioce of fifty levels. Last, is the acadamy. This will allow you to unlock skill levels and puzzles alike for use in Free Play. It also goes more into the intricate parts of the puzzle, giving you a better understanding of the game.

Free Play:
    Here you are able to play levels at your own pace, and are able to have fun and give your brain a good jolt, while not frustrating yourself. There are five skill levels: Apprentice, Amateur, Professional, Master, and Genius. The Apprentice levels are open for you without having to unlock them, but to play in the other skill levels, you need to go to the academy and do the puzzles there.

Academy:
    Here, you will go through the Academy with Tetsuya Miyamoto. You will start off playing the Apprentice levels. These puzzles will only focus on addition and subtraction. The puzzles only get to be 4x4 in size. A good start if you are a first time player. Second, there is the Amatuer levels. This class focuses on the logical conclusions you can make while playing the game, and it introduces multiplication and division. The third class is Professional. It goes deeper into the tiny logistical anomalies that can occur durring a puzzle. It intorduces large numbers also. The last class is the Master class. This class is very difficult. It is a mix of everything that you have learned throughout the acadamy. I will warn you, it will test your brain to the limits.

Gameplay:
    When you are actually doing a puzzle, you have many options that you would have in a SuDoKo puzzle. A hardcore SuDoKu solver is familiar with the concept called "notes". This allows the player to keep track of what numbers could or couldn't go in a particular square. This game keeps track of both kinds for you.

Themes:
    In the options menu, there is an option to change the themes. There are three.

Oriental

Notepad

Newspaper

Pros: An easy pickup and play game, a must have for SuDoKu fans. The graphics are very nice. I specifically like the notepad theme. The pencil on the side give it a more realistic feel.

Cons: I wish that there was a random option. You could choose what size board, then the difficulty. Then it would be well worth the $4.99.

My Ratings:
    Graphics: 4/5
    Gameplay: 5/5
    Ease Of Use: 5/5
    Average App Store Rating: 4/5
    Final Rating: 4.5/5

I would reccommend this game for people who like a fun game, while not having a complete commitment to have to finish it. Also a great game for fans of SuDoKu and logic games.

Attached Files:

2. The Untouchable iPod

The Untouchable iPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    most of your pics are broken otherwise good review
    i love this game
  3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yup, no screenshots. I use the image host at http://www.hostedimage.com/index.php to upload mine and then copy and paste the links across fyi. Once they're embedded the site server picks up and stores them for speed so they'll be solid once you've upped them properly once.
  4. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

Ok. I'll fix that. Did you find any typos? I had to do most of this with jaadu vnc. Very tedious.
  5. ipodmail09

ipodmail09 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    good review but all previous post stated the sceenshots links are broken and i found 0 typos
  6. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

ok. i think i fixed the pics. they look good on my computer, but i think its a little inaccurate because i have the pics on my desktop. anyone tell me if they work plase
  7. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    you did this with Jaadu VNC!!!

bravo ol' chap, bravo.
  8. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    screenshots working now. nice
  9. iPod Touch™