iPhone 4 Keeping iPhone 4 plugged in, with full battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cethyndra, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Cethyndra

Cethyndra New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I know this question has been asked before on these forums, but in case something has changed with the iPhone 4:

If I plug in my iPhone to my computer, let it charge to 100%, and then keep it plugged in - Will the iPhone stop using the battery, or will this in fact "damage" the battery?

The reason that I'm asking is because I use USB-tethering quite alot.

Thanks in advance!
  2. bucko

bucko New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    when charging the iphone or ipod there are 2 different voltages goin to your device one to charge the battery and one for the device to run off of. that is why some usb chargers do not work with the idevices.
  3. chort27

chort27 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    any time you charge your phone when it is not completely empty of battery it will SLIGHTLY decrease your battery life. I emphasize slightly because it is not a noticeable amount. But, over time, you will notice a slight decrease in your battery life. But it does take a long time, and you shouldn't worry about it, because you'll probably have a new phone by then
  4. bucko

bucko New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    What you speak of is battery memory and lithium ion batteries have no memory. but thye do not last for ever. they do degrade over time but it is not from charging it when the battery is not completly empty.
  5. mangels09

mangels09 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It is actually the opposite for lithium-based batteries. Lithium batteries will remain in the best shape if they are kept at 80% capacity or above. (it isn't a huge gain though)

Years of racing electric RC cars will teach you a thing or two about batteries.
  6. bucko

bucko New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    really that is great to know. i am OCD when it comes to battery level i dont like to leave the house with less than 85.
  7. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)