iPhone 3G Keep Tethering on iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by virtualone, Jul 31, 2010.

1. virtualone

virtualone New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hey guys, I haven't posted here forever. I used to be all over ipod touch jailbreaking in 2007/2008 but I've now had an unjailbroken iPhone 3G for 2 years and im about to sell it to buy the iPhone 4.

On my 3G I am actually still running firmware 3.0.1 because a while back I did the ATT carrier hack from help.benm.at. and I have used the phone a lot for tethering to my MBP while commuting on the train.

What I am wondering is if there is a way I can prepare my phone for a sale on craigslist while wiping my personal data but still preserving 3.0.1 and the tethering carrier hack. If so, how should I do this?

Also, I am so out of it nowadays but is there a way to tether on the iPhone 4 without paying ATT? I am assuming it has to be jailbroken?

Thanks!
  2. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Get the 3.0.1 FW and do a DFU restore in iTunes 9.0 or lower. As for tethering today you have to pay ATT if you want. But you can jailbreak once one comes out and tether internet using MyWi from cydia.
  3. virtualone

virtualone New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Ah ok thanks. Looks like I have iTunes 9.1.1. though on the computer that my phone syncs with. Would doing the DFU restore on another computer be a problem?
  4. mrez

mrez Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    on the iPhone 3G you could download the 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 FW, restore to it, JB it with redsn0w, spirit or blackra1n, and get MyWi to enable tethering