Keep getting Error 1601 from restore

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iTouchNinjaz, Jul 13, 2009.

1. iTouchNinjaz

iTouchNinjaz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My iPod touch 2G 2.2.1 was having problems with crashing and so I decided to restore it. I put it in DFU mode and shift-clicked restore and loaded the firmware. It finishes up until Preparing iPod for Restore, and then I get the 1601 error. I've tried many tutorials. And it goes and stays on a white screen when preparing and doesn't get off. I have to reboot but it just stays at the Apple. I have to firmware on because of this. Can anyone tell me what to do? Should I let it charge for a while and then do it? This all happened because of Supreme Preferences 3.0. Thanks for any help.
  2. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

Try the link in my signature.
  3. iTouchNinjaz

iTouchNinjaz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm not in the Connect To iTunes screen. Does it matter, though? I'm stuck at the Apple logo.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I did the iRecovery thing. On Windows readme 2, it says my iPod should boot into normal mode now, I don't have a firmware on. The error stops it from loading. I did Windows readme, though, not 2. Do I just restore now, or what?
  4. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

Yeah, restore it now.
  5. iTouchNinjaz

iTouchNinjaz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It's not restoring.
  6. iTouchGuru

iTouchGuru New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just DFU + Restore and it should go smoothly.

I dont think iRecovery is nessacary unless its REALLY REALLY broken.
  7. iTouchNinjaz

iTouchNinjaz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well, it's not. One thing first, do you know why the screen goes white when I'm trying to restore? It's never done that before. Back on topic, DFU and restore's not working. I keep getting Error 1601. iRecovery's not doing anything, either. I don't know what to do. I'm getting 3.0 for free from Apple though, don't know if it's gonna work. I hope. I posted it on Apple's discussion board. Maybe I'll get some help. So far none, though. Thank's anyway. If you know a way to do it differently, I'll be glad to know.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Still nothing.
  8. omgbricked

omgbricked New Member

i had the same problem i returned it to App store stating that i tried installing 3.0 and the firmware crashed the promptly replaces that with a new Ipod in 3 working days
  9. jamesjc25

jamesjc25 New Member

I have had the same issue with my touch.

My original touch die last week and was replaced under my extended waranty.

Now three days later it has happened again to my new one.

The common denominator is the restore. It appears there is a fault with the update that itunes attempts to do to the touch. Once this occurs you cannot fix this easily even in DFU mode.

You need to phone Apple and arrange a repair. I am currently going through this with my replacement one. I will update you as soon as I hear back from them.