Kalyway Upgrade.

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by Abcmsaj, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    If you don't like reading boring anecdotes, I made the questions bold. Please answer them if you can.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Last night, I dual booted Kalyway 10.5.1. Then in the night, I downloaded (direct via Apple Software Updates) 10.5.4. When I installed it, the install no longer worked, and it kept telling me to restart my PC.

Ok. How is this worked around? How do I upgrade Kalyway to 10.5.4?

Secondly, I have no wi-fi on my Mac boot, and I have to use a 2 metre ethernet cable from my router, which means hauling my laptop from my desk and balancing it on the printer to get internet.

How can I get Airport working with my built-in Wifi receiver, or my Netgear WPN111 adapter?

I'm so excited that I got it working, and it'll make do til Xmas when I can get a MacBook Pro properly.

Third question though: Is a 15GB Partition enough? All I'm looking to do is use the SDK and maybe add my iTunes library from Windows to Mac.

Thanks!

2. eraserhead

eraserhead New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    First you can't go from 10.5.1 to 10.5.4, you will break your install. Here's what I did.

Kalyway 10.5.2 Install ---> Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Update --> Download (not software update) installer package 10.5.4 Update from apple.

You must be at 10.5.3 First to use the Apple Update

You must be on Vanilla Kernel to use the Apple Update as it overwrites your existing kernel. So if you can't run vanilla on your machine you will break the install.

I went with a Belkin G+ MIMO dongle, for wifi as my internal card was not compatible. Do some searches at insanely mac for your wifi card to see if anyone has a working driver you can use to get it operational...otherwise spring for this, 100% sure it will work. It is Mac Compatible and comes with the proper drivers. There are cheaper options but this works out of the box and does not take any tweaking. Also some of the Linksys Dongles must be the correct version number to work with the OSx86 drivers. Netgear will most likey not be an option for you, but again you can search at insanelymac. I had one that I was unable to get working, and from searching I found most Netgear models to not be compatible. The few drivers I found did nothing.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=272959

15G is going to be fine if you want to play around, but you will only have about 7G after the install. My first test I used 13G and I quickly wiped it to set up a 40G partition. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than 40G if you are serious about using it for a real computer. Clean up your computer first, get rid of some unnecessary things...turn off shadow copy, free up system restore allocation space etc, to see how big a partition you can actually get away with. Mine is split right down the middle...after a clean install of Vista (which I would also recommend if you are serious)...and Leopard I had about 30G left on each partition on my laptop with 100G to start. I am more than happy with that setup, but I hated it when my Leopard partition didn't have enough to do anything with...you'll regret the 15G, and although its good practice gathering kexts and getting most things functional and I'm sure it will go faster the second time, you probably don't want to have to do this all over again.

you will need to spend a lot of time here...let me know if I can help with specifics...good luck.

insanelymac.com
  3. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Brilliant. I'll look for *******s when I get home. If there's a 10.5.2 UPGRADE... then I'll use that before your suggested method.

I didn't opt for Vanilla Kernel at the time of install coz I didn't know what it was.

If I'm only using this as a temporary alternative til I get a Mac in a few months, I don't really want to be spending money on an adapter. But thanks, I'm sure if I go on Insanely Mac and I'm sure I'll find something like my Wireless Card driver, or a cheap alternative that I can find on eBay

Also, Brilliant. Again, I'm not using it as my "main" computer until I can get internet and 10.5.4, but even then I'm not going to be putting a lot of stuff on. I have an external hard drive with my whole Windows partition backed up, so I can just save extra stuff to the Windows partition if I need to.

1) thanks for the reference site.
    2) thanks for such a long and deatiled answer

It's helped.
    Thanks

4. eraserhead

eraserhead New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    no problem - you can always PM me here, or I am eraserhead77 at insanelymac. When I started to set up my HackBook Air (Sony Vaio TZ-150)

I found insanelymac really the only site that I really needed...it was amazing how much info you can find over there. I'm sure there are others there with your same hardware as yourself.

You can ask questions here, but the amount of talent that is willing to help in the OSx86 community there is a valuable resource, and you will get definite answers rather than maybes. The problem with asking here is everyone's experience with OSx86 is different because of hardware constraints, so you might not always get the answer you are looking for even though chances are it is out there.

Also quick question, what are the specs on your computer? I might be able to tell if you can give the vanilla kernel a try.
  5. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I've not got it atm.. But I'll find it online now and link you.

Can't find one.. But here's the best I've got.. Sorry:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080330041427AATaUuX

and also, you might be able to find something here:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00753552.pdf

if you've got time to search through it. lol
  6. eraserhead

eraserhead New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Well the main thing about the vanilla kernel is compatibility with your processor. I am not sure about Celeron M but I think you should give it a shot as it is an intel machine.

I would suggest trying the vanilla install first, then if it doesn't work try one of the hacked kernels. Just remember not to use Apples 10.5.4 update if you choose to use anything other than vanilla. You will need a 10.5.4 combo update that will either allow you to keep your existing kernel or choose a hacked one at install.

I would suggest SpeedStep kernel if you can't get vanilla to work, but I'm not positive that will work either. I had no problems with my install as the TZ150 is so similar in specs to the new macs. You run into trouble when trying to install OSx86 on older machines. And the farther back you go the less chance there will be people developing solutions for it. Fortunately this isn't that old and I would think you can get this running with a little effort.

Also it doesn't hurt to have a bootable linux distro handy...if anything goes wrong you can get into your files and fix kernels, kexts etc without -s command line work, or forcing a reinstall. I've never had to use it, but I keep a copy of Ubuntu around just in case. You will find you will have some unstableness at first till you work our all the kinks and stop having KPs
  7. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    All Vanilla Kernel does it lets you download from Apple directly and not require a patched upgrade (10.5.3 and above only?)

What did you mean by:

8. d00m42

d00m42 Member

Using the Vanilla kernel really makes the computer run a lot more smoothly, because it just sort of well... agrees with most of what Apple and software updates try to do automatically. He means btw that you should go to Apple's site and download the 10.5.3-10.5.4 Delta upgrade package (88MB or something i don't remember) and install that manually rather than going to Software Update and choosing to install the 10.5.4 update automatically. If you have any questions feel free to PM me here!

PS. Personally I used Software Update to go from 10.5.3->10.5.4, but you need to make sure you are on the Vanilla kernel on 10.5.3 to do that and I wouldn't recommend it unless you are sure you have Vanilla running on 10.5.3.
  9. eraserhead

eraserhead New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Vanilla Kernel is the same Kernel Apple uses, it is not patched. Most users will not be able to install Vanilla, but if you are able to it will save you some heartache down the line.

You are able to get updates from apple without fear of it breaking your install. Some updates will overwrite your existing kernel, for example the 10.5.4 update.

So if you are running the Netkas kernel and you update from apple, you are toast as you just overwrote the kernel with the latest vanilla kernel from apple.

There are other benefits to running vanilla but in the end it is just the ability to run your system as close to a Mac as possible. I find it is more stable and I never get Kernel Panics, I figure if you can run vanilla then go for it, its safer.

You will most likely lose some things with the vanilla kernel, such as sleep and speedstep and if those are important to you I would try the netkas kernel.

As for the 10.5.4 update...yes you can get it from apple if you are vanilla, you can even get it through software update, but I wouldn't recommend it. There is a slight chance it will freeze up in the middle of the install and screw up everything. General rule of thumb is to download any updates from apple and use the installer package rather than the software update, just to be extra safe.

You still need to use the Kalyway combo update to get to 10.5.3, the 10.5.4 is the only one you can get from apple as it is a minor update, they are not changing any architecture, just bug fixes and the like...its a small file.

Yes, its possible but I wouldn't even try.

I've heard of people breaking their installs using the software update who were running on the vanilla kernel, when the install hangs. Play it safe and use the installer package just in case.

EDIT: Misread your quote....fixed now

Good to see you around d00m42 how was camp

10. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Thanks you two.
    I understand now.
    I decided to reinstall 10.5.1 with vanilla, but I couldn't get 10.5.2 combo update to work :\

So now I'm just downloading 10.5.2 install DVD and it'll be done by tomorrow...
    Then 10.5.3 combo update, etc.

I'll let you know how it goes. I found a lot on InsanelyMac that I want to try like 2 finger scrolling and my Broadcom Chipset fix.