JVC Marshmallow or Skullcandy Ink'd...comfort?

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by SugarBob62, Jul 18, 2010.

1. SugarBob62

SugarBob62 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok I know this is weird...but which of the two is the most comfortable...regardless of the sound quality??

I CANNOT wear the earbuds that come with the iPods...I had an earache after wearing them for a short time, that lasted for days. I dunno if it's cause they are hard, or I have small ears or what...
    But I got both the Marshmallows and Ink'd ones because I want them for a road trip I'll be going on. I hardly use my iPod for music, its a touch...so I mostly use it for the Apps and internet. So the quality is not THAT important to me, I am more about comfort. If anything, I'll most likely just be using them to watch a movie in the car. Maybe some music a little too. But I just want something that feels the best.

I am confused by the 2. Which is why I bought both...I just don't know which one to keep and open. I don't want to open them both and try them out because I doubt you can return them once opened. I don't want to be out 30 dollars on both, and only like 1 of them.

I understand the Marshmallow ones kinda go in and form to your ear after you squish them down. I am worried about how far you apparently have to shove it in there. Is it the same with the Skullcandy ones? Are these both considered in-ear canal earphones? Or do the Skullcandy ones not go in as far. And call me weird...but seeing as how easy the covers seem to come off, whats from not having it come off in your ear canal and get stuck, when you take the earphones outta your ears?? Only I would think of that hahahha. I've only ever used over the ear headphone ones before, so I'm new to the "ear"phone thing.

So yeah based on comfort alone, what would anyone recommend between the 2 of them? I guess if worse comes to worse I can just TRY both, and eat whatever the cost is of the one I like least...but I'd rather not?
    Thanks!
  2. shashanknegi

shashanknegi Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i used to have skullcandys, and they felt comfortable, but i got koss since they broke in while i was in vegas, i dont even feel them.
  3. crovian

crovian Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i would say the jvc marshmallows but i have bias against skullcandy products

btw i've tried both
  4. SugarBob62

SugarBob62 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    UGHHH!!! I'm so indecisive. I'm sitting here reading reviews and watching Youtube videos, and I still can't make up my mind hahhaha.

I watch or read something that says really good stuff about SC, then I'm like ok I'll do those! Then I see something good about the JVC, and I get all confused again. I do that with EVERYTHING though, I dunno how 1 product can warrant 5 stars from one person, but 1 from another. That's what I hate haha.

First of all...I just noticed I have the OLD JVC ones, so before I do anything I guess I'll be going back to Walmart and see if they have the newer ones, I'm assuming those would be better than the ones I got, if I go with the Marshmallow ones... Like its HA-FX35 and HA-FX34...I have the 34 ones, didn't realize there was newer better ones apparently.

Maybe I'll just eventually try both, and see if I can take the other ones back, if they suck. If they hurt or the sound quality sucks and you have a receipt you should be able to return it. I just don't know about something like that.

Any other opinions?
  5. Code Name_Raven

Code Name_Raven Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    JVC. I just bought a pair and they are really good. I had SC and they broke after a month. I think the jvc are more comfortable anyways.
  6. crovian

crovian Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Any reason you are choosing between just those 2?

you might want to read up on:
    -klipsch s2m
    -klipsch s4 (very good reviews; more expensive than your 2 choices)
    -head-direct re2
    -head-direct re0 (unbelievable price/performance ratio; highly regarded)
  7. bapski

bapski New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i feel for the OP. in fact i can't believe my old sony mp3 player came with a far better headphone than with my IPT...

my main complaint about the headphone is that it cant seem to stay put on my ears specially on my left ear. it just does not fit snugly.
  8. crovian

crovian Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ^ that's what IEMs are for =] that and infinitely better sound
  9. SugarBob62

SugarBob62 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What is an IEM??

I've picked between those 2. Because those were the 2 available in stores that fit my price range, that were the in-ear ones...that didn't look hard like the Apple ones. Not much of a selection in stores for under 20 bucks. So those were the best 2 I came up with.

From what I read about the JVC ones, some people say they are annoying to "squish" down to keep inserting in your ear everytime. It worries me that, I feel like I have a smaller ear, and since these "memory foam" things don't really come in sizes, they just form to your ear...I guess some people said they kept popping out, unless you shover it REALLY far into your ear.

And with the Skullycandy ones, I just worry if they are soft enough, comfort wise. Like the little silicone things, how comfy they are. And do they not have to go in AS far into your ear canal?

I'm not really worried about them breaking quickly, I will hardly ever be using them. Just for road trips occassionaly, so unless they are REAL crappy either one should last me a while, with minimal use.

I just want what is comfortable. And I wonder what is different between the 2 JVC ones now. I can't really find any reviews about the newer ones.
  10. Code Name_Raven

Code Name_Raven Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Trust me, I have REALLY small ears and my JVC's don't fall out. They have to be put in pretty far but the same goes for the skullys.