just wondering, what is edge speed?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by justinede, Jan 27, 2008.

1. justinede

justinede Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    is it like dial up speed or slower? i have sprint and ive heard its one of the fastest.
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

It's kind of mid-range. Primary GSM data speed specs are:

GPRS: 56-114kbps
    EDGE: Up to 237kbps
    HSDPA: 1.8-14.4mbps

UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA/HSPA is the big thing now (collectively referred to as 3G and 3.5G networks). EDGE is considered previous generation, and it's still a bit slow.
  3. justinede

justinede Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    so its not THAT bad...???
  4. dogman

dogman New Member

Interesting.

i'm currently holding on to my Treo 700w with Verizon and my iPod Touch. I get anywhere from 200-800 kbps with Verizon . However, now that I have the iPhone apps on my Touch (and almost nowhere to use them - wifi is useless on the road or on the train), i'm very tempted to get an iPhone. I really love the e-mail client and the browser is infinitely better than Pocket IE on the Treo. I just wish AT&T had a faster network.

Is EDGE really that awful, or do people find it tolerable?
  5. justinede

justinede Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    idk. thats what im trying to find out too..lol
  6. hotwater10

hotwater10 Banned

when my friend had dial up he had 16..lol
  7. justinede

justinede Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    lol thats dam slow!!!
  8. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Your practical speeds on an EDGE network will depend on a number of factors.

1) Your actual speed. ("up to" generally means "in theory" when it comes to things like that.) Depending on your carrier, location, signal strength, etc. you could be getting less than dialup, or more.

2) The ability of the device you're using to browse. If it's slow to render pages, it will just seem that much slower.

3) The sites you are browsing. If you're browsing normal, desktop-oriented pages with rich, image-heavy content, then yes, it will seem pretty damn slow -- better than dialup by a factor of about four at best, but it may not seem like it on the whole. Mobile-oriented pages that go lighter on the graphics might seem to load at a half decent speed.
  9. justinede

justinede Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    ok kool... i have a samasung upstage and it pretty fast on loading pages. but i prefer not to use it unless i need to.
  10. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm a sprint/CDMA guy ... but this is how it translates for me
    EDGE/GPRS: is like the 1x speed. Slow. Takes you back to the early 90s. Better then nothing, but not by much.

HSDPA is like EVDO-0/a. Usable. Bearable. Takes you back to the turn of the century (ie, 2000) when 1mb DSL was smokin fast. Way better then nothing, but not as good as even 802.11b

WiMax is like 802.11g everywhere. When are we getting WiMax. Pleeeeese build out WiMax.

Sorry, got carried away. Anywhoo, in real life, anything in the EVDO/HSDPA range is really quite good, even for laptop use, and on a phone/small device its heaven. I love the data speed on my WM6 phone on Sprint with unlimited EVDO data. In another 4 years when apple gets away from AT&T I could see whatever they're selling by then under the iPhone name as an interesting option.