Just some questions about what an ipod can do

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pwnah, Oct 2, 2009.

1. pwnah

pwnah New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I saw this ipod add, where he found out where his girlfriend was because of some GPS or something?
    What is that application and how does it work?

also do you need an internet connection for cydia or is i just like itunes where u download apps and can transferthem via usb..
  2. boomer678

boomer678 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You need internet for cydia.. unless you download them from ur pc and transfer them( i dont know ive never jailbroken yet, because i haev a new 2g and cant.) Idk wat the application is but it probably uses GPS or Location services if its an ipod
  3. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ipod touch has no GPS chip
  4. Gershmer

Gershmer Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It uses Wifi to position itself, instead
  5. graymalkin

graymalkin New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The app you are referring to, I think is Latitude, something that Google has made. There is some basic location awareness in the iPod touch as it uses WiFi networks it can find to reference the mac addresses to a data base and thus work out it's location. But for latitude to work you would need an internet connection where ever you are (enter 3G)

As for Cydia, I jailbroke my iPod touch ages ago, but put it back, as I couldn't bothered with the hassle and temptation that Cydia provided me, I just pimped and pimped my iPod until the battery life was shot and it ran at 1000 degrees, oh how I laugh now... But I believe you can use a web interface on the PC to download apps, then you can use iTunes to sync them. To use the Cydia app on the device you would need a 3G/ WiFi connection.