Just picked up my 3G Touch. Quick overview/review for those still on the fence!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Noise..., Sep 25, 2009.

1. Noise...

Noise... Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    As a 1G owner that skipped upgrading to the 2G, I missed a lot of the new features. I had gotten a 1G shortly before the 2G came out, and didn't want to mess with upgrading, so I stuck with the 1G and remained happily Jailbroken while the 2G'ers had to wait. Not that it mattered four months later.

Anyway, I've used my 1G every day that I've had it. Here are my initial impressions of the 1G vs the 3G for the people still on the fence. Please keep in mind; I have not ever owned a 2G Touch, nor used one.

First off, the 3G is by far lighter. MUCH lighter. Not only that, but much slimmer as well.

The 3G's border ends up being a slight bit taller than the 1G - not much, but it is a hair taller.

Next, the screen. First of all, it feels completely different than the 1G's, and my fingerprints aren't sticking to it at all - where my 1G, despite daily cleaning, is a smudgy mess of prints. I know people are saying that the 3G Touch lacks an oleophobic screen, but I'm not so sure. The feel is completely different.
    Aside from the physical feel, the responsiveness is much, much better. It's more accurate, smoother, and all around more user friendly.
    Last on the screen is the look. It's much more glare resistant, colors look better, and it's a tad brighter than the 1G's.

Next, sync speed is much, much faster. I've had it out of the box for 20 mins, and I have 19.8GB of music and 2.88GB of video synced, and it's been done for a good 5 mins. That amount on my 1G (if I had a 32GB) would have taken much, much longer.
    I just started installing apps, and what took ~20 mins on my 1G (about 200MB of apps) just finished in about a minute on the 3G.

Now, sounds. I was one of the people who shrugged off the speaker in the 2G as pointless and not worth upgrading for. I'll say it here and now; I was wrong. The speaker makes it awesome and is a great addition.

I'll update in a bit with some more observations - specifically on speed comparisons for gaming, voice control, and some of the other new features.

As of now, my suggestion to any 1G owner that's still on the fence is to go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. JonahDuck

JonahDuck New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Wow thanks!! Your like the first person that upgraded from a 1g to a 3g!!

(sarcasm)
  3. theLorax

theLorax Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    better than those stupid camera threads that people post every single day!

i upgraded from a 1g, and I pretty much had the same opinions as you.
  4. Mosaic

Mosaic Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Teriffic review!

I agree 100%, as I too upgraded from the first generation.
  5. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    lol this whole thread of yours applies to me as well...i upgraded from a 1G also because i found upgrading to the 2G not that important...now upgrading to the 3G was a life saver...im a heavy gamer

6. Noise...

Noise... Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ok - first, if you don't like the thread, don't read it. Go b*tch about it elsewhere. At least this isn't another thread whining about the lack of camera.

Now back to the review.

First, I'd like to correct my earlier statement on the screen. It isn't oleophobic, but it is by far more resistant to smudges than the 1G. I've been playing with it since making the initial post, and it still has very few prints on it, but there are some.

Some more on the speaker;
    Awesome for gaming. Simply awesome. It's integrated perfectly, works great, sounds as good as a speaker that small can, and I can see it coming in handy all the time. Also, I'd like to point out that the side volume buttons are great. Especially for gaming. They aren't a huge deal, but they're a great touch. (get it?

)

Onto speed.

Anyone with a 1G will tell you that games with heavy 3D graphics, lots of sound, etc take a while to load. The 3G takes next to no time. I tested Cube and Resident Evil. Cube loaded instantly on the 1G, and RE took about 5 seconds to load. Much faster than on the 1G.
    Next, the games both run much, much smoother on the 3G. No lag, nice and responsive, just great performance. The difference here is like going from gaming on a laptop to a desktop with a decent graphics card in it.

Voice Control;
    Gimmicky, imperfect, and completely glorious. I'm not going to lie - it's not perfect. Far from it, actually. It can misunderstand who you want to listen to here and there, and if you mistake the commands at all, it will almost randomize. For example, I said "Play The Album Leaf," and it replied "Playing album Zeitgeist," as I hadn't specified "Play Artist" before The Album Leaf.
    What makes it glorious, is simply the pronunciation of some things. Godspeed You! Black Emperor brought a great amount of lulz.
    It's a cool feature, and very usable - however not exactly worth the upgrade.

Mic in headphones capability:
    I missed out on all the fun with VoIP and such with the 2G. However, with the 3G, the same applies. It comes stock with the Voice Memo app, which is nice. Not only does the mic pick up sound well, it also puts out decent quality recording. I can see a ton of uses for this. From what the app is for (voice memos), to band practice, pitch training, sound sampling, and all sorts of other fun stuff. As a musician, I can see myself making great use of it.

That's about it for now. I'm really happy with it. Again, I highly recommend the upgrade to any 1G owner.
  7. vbman213

vbman213 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I am loving mine! I upgraded from a 1g as well... There is ZERO COMPARISON between the first gen and third gen. The speed boost is amazing! Now I just can't wait until Nova is released

8. chinook

chinook New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I upgraded from 1G to 3G as well. No disappointment at all. The 3G is so much more faster. But for me, the screen seems to smudge just as much as the 1G.

The guy who responded first just joined the forums and he's already flaming. 10 bucks says he'll be outta here within 2 weeks
  9. Mosaic

Mosaic Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Really? I found the screen on my 3rd Generation much more smudge/fingerprint resistant than my 1st Gen.

That's odd.
  10. chinook

chinook New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah, it is weird. I have both of them side by side and the 3G's smudges are jsut as bad.