Welcome to the iFans Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Just got Atari Missile Command -- here are some screenshots!

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by bjornkeizers, Sep 24, 2008.

1. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I haven't seen any reviews or screens yet, so I figured... might as well be the proverbial guinea pig :D

I just downloaded and installed the game without incident.

On first booting, the game starts in landscape orientation. There are the usual Atari/developer splash screens, and a dialog which allows you to choose between ipod and game music.

I selected game music. The game presents me with a green 'touch screen to start' menu, while playing some groovy music. Onto the main menu. There's Ultra and Classic mode, an options screen and a difficulty setting. 'Options' is divided into several graphical icons for game- and music volume, high scores and rolling credits. The difficulty screen allows selection between easy, medium and hard. Let's set it to easy for now...

[​IMG]

First up is classic mode. I'm presented with icons for single and two player modes. Single it is.

We're now presented with the vintage 80's arcade look. Black background, red or blue missiles, yellow/blue basis depending on levels... and of course: flying planes, bombs and UFO's. I never played this in the arcade, but I assume it's pretty faithful. Touch response is excellent so far. I can put a missile exactly where I want it. Multi touch is pretty neat, though you're going through ammo at a pretty good clip...

[​IMG]

OK, I died. But, did get a 'high' score! :eek:

Onto ULTRA MODE!

The gameplay looks to be identical: you start out with three cannons, and several objects to protect. You have 12 shots per cannon, with plenty of targets to shoot at. If you've ever played Missile Command -- you'll feel right at home. The game is divided into 'waves'. Each new wave brings more targets at a higher rate. Again, there are plenty of other objects to shoot at besides the missiles themselves: small UFO's, big flying... things, as well as what appear to be low flying satellites :p

[​IMG]

There are a few different 'locations' that vary from wave to wave. There's a moonbase, some arctic looking area, a sunset harbor, etc. It's OK, but nothing special.

I tried exiting and starting the game again. Some games make you go through all the splash screens, menus, etc. to get back to gameplay -- very annoying. I tried it out with MC. I quit in the middle of a wave, and when I started the game again, it asked me to 'choose music', after which it went back to the paused wave. This is the way it should be; a very well behaved piece of software.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The graphics are better then expected from a $5 MC remake. Your cannon shots have nice trails, the incoming missiles and targets look decent, the backgrounds are OK.... oh and there's plenty of explosions! The one thing that bothers me though is... the screens on the itunes store are obviously fake. They lack certain interface elements, and the explosions and effects look a bit more detailed. Also note the size of the cannons is vastly smaller in the actual game. Photoshopping screenshots is definite no-no in my book. But, All in all, it's a a good showing. So far, I've encounted no bugs or other strange behaviour.

Is it worth the $5? I'd say yes. If you want a good MC-like game for short pick up and play sessions, this fits the bill just nicely.

And here's the store link if you want to have a go at it :D

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=291286162&mt=8
  2. sleepbox

sleepbox New Member

I've been waiting for this one actually. Will pick up tonight.
  3. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Odd, 324 views and only one reply... I thought there would be a bit more interest in this game.
  4. pickles

pickles New Member

Hah. Sweet. I'm loving the vintage 80's look. I might look into investing in this game.