Just got a new MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by ipodballer, Nov 25, 2007.

1. ipodballer

ipodballer New Member

I have never had a mac before i just got a new macbook what are the must have apps that i should get.

Thank you.
  2. psychzzz

psychzzz New Member

Hi there! Congrats on getting a new macBook.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Well, I'm not sure what kind of applications that you're looking for, but here are some to start off with -

AdiumX - IMHO, one of the best IM client for the Mac. Downside is that it doesn't fully support video chat now but it's coming very soon!

NeoOffice - A good alternative if you don't want to pay for iWorks / MS Office for Mac. This is based on OpenOffice.

SimplyBurns - An excellent CD/DVD burner for your Mac.

Transmission - a great Bit******* client for the Mac. Small and lightweight. You can try Azureus for Mac as well if you like the extra features.

VLC Player - For all the other video formats (except RM/RMVB).

I would recommend you to visit iusethis.com for more great Mac apps but apparently their server is showing a "500-Internal Server Error" message now.

Sorry, I'm too lazy to create the links to the apps mention above but just Google for them and add a Mac to it and you'll find them.

Btw, all the apps mentioned above are freeware/open source.

Cheers~
  3. optikalefx

optikalefx New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    well Just as an experienced mac user id suggest staying with iChat. It works great with aim. Stick with apples built in burning program it works great. I would also get VLC but don't use it unless you have to. Use quicktime with some plugins for windows formats.

You wanna stick with apple products, because what apple sells will work best. You trust apple right? so stick with their software.

I do a lot of hacking around and illegal activity at times so I know what programs are out there, depending on what you want to do apple has a solution.

No offense to pyschzzz for his opinion.
  4. psychzzz

psychzzz New Member

5. I_am_Mad_like_This

I_am_Mad_like_This New Member

-Quicksilver - Launches apps really fast! saves time and life. YOU NEED IT.
    -Perian -Lets Quicktime play avi, flv, subtitles and more. YOU NEED IT.
    -Google Earth - "I can see my house from here!"
    -Limewire - It doesn't need an explanation!
    -Schoolhouse - Good notes application and Homework organizer!
    -VLC - Plays every movie file...
    -Verbalize - Exploits narrator
    -MacSaber - Turns your MacBook into a Lightsaber
    -LiquidMac - Google it (I forgot)
    -Transmission - Downloads *******s, nice UI
    -Stuffit Expander -Opens stuff like zip, rar, sitx. YOU NEED IT.
    -MacJanitor - Cleans your mac
    -Firefox - If you like...
    -TVShows - with this app combined with transmission, you don't need tv when you can watch you favorite shows from your mac!

-DO NOT GET STUFF FROM UNSANITY (they are like customization applications, stuff like themes etc)
    -Use boot camp (/Applications/utilities) to install windows (xp or vista). pm me for info.
    -you will love your mac when you use it.
    -to uninstall applications completely, go to /Library/Application Support and /Library/Preferences and remove the corresponding files.

For more fun, go to....

freemacware.com
    leoparddocks.com
    ifans.com!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. PsYcHoKoRy

PsYcHoKoRy New Member

7. ipodballer

ipodballer New Member

Thank you to everyone that has answered, this is the first mac I have ever owned. If I need help it is nice to know that I have everyone on this forum to help me out. Thanks again.

8. holycrap

holycrap New Member

where to get some free mac apps

Well, i dont whether they are the 'must have' applications but i think its depends on your needs. What i can give you is a website where u can find free mac softwares. http://www.opensourcemac.org/. The good thing about this website is that it gives you the description of the software so you will know what it does before you install it; This gives you the benefit to choose which programs you like or need and which ones you dont need.
  9. hugo

hugo New Member

dude great site, thanks
  10. coiagp@gmail.com

coiagp@gmail.com New Member

Apple's built in burning program is garbage! You have virtually no control over it, and crucially it appears, at least to my knowledge, to lack the option to make ISO compliant CDs (i.e. CDs garunteed to work in any CD-ROM compliant device).

I strongly recommend getting hold of a copy of toast if you regularly burn discs to share with others. It has a massive array of options for disc burning.