Just Dropped my iPad...hooray!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DarrellW, Aug 12, 2010.

1. DarrellW

DarrellW New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    This morning I had my iPad lying in its Apple case on the bed. I must have thrown a pillow over it and forgotten it was there. I pushed the pillow off the bed, and next thing I know THA-THUMP, THUD! The iPad had fallen about 3ft, landed on it's edge, then smacked face down. My carpet is very thin and has a wood floor below, but I've seen the YouTube videos so I panicked. Luckily it seems to be perfectly fine, no dents, dings, or dead pixels. As a matter of fact I'm typing this post on it, I wonder if there will be any damage in the long run? I'm gadget nerd so I'm usually very careful with my stuff, however after this I'm investing in the OtterBox Commuter case ASAP!

[UPDATE] I just realized it now has a tiny metallic rattle, like a tiny catch sliding back and forth when I shake it. I looked it up and found a good many iPad 3G owners have the same issue. It seems to be a mystery of sorts on some forums. So I figured it had to do with the sim tray. I took the sim card out and shined a light into the slot as I gently shook it. It's just the sim card release lever sliding back and forth a tiny bit, not a problem, can be replicated with a good many other devices with a sim tray eject hole, vibration causes it to loosen a tiny bit. I held the sim tray release tool in the hole while shaking it and the noise stopped.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Should be fine. For now. Just be more careful next time.
  3. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I've dropped my 3G iPad so many times (without a case) that there's a dent on the black plastic cover...

But she's still fine. I think the Youtube video, or the stress test videos must have dropped it "quite a couple" of times. I've counted up to 5 drops now and nothing wrong so far.
  4. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ^^ You obviously don't appreciate it. It sounds like your proud of it

^^
  5. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Proud and not at the same time. Proud because the device lasted. Not because I was careless while handling it...
  6. Casiuss

Casiuss Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Oh man... I droped mine severel times but its still fine... I think these gadgets will last nearly forever. So damn solid I dont know what to say...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I guess the only weaks spots are the display and the battery.
  7. DarrellW

DarrellW New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    @Casiuss: Why the battery?
    The worst thing is, since I never leave my fragile expensive items laying around I thought it was probably my durable old Xbox 360 controller falling off the bed and was too tired to check until later.
  8. dude245

dude245 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
  9. DarrellW

DarrellW New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    0_o buddy...you need a new girlfriend

10. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

Not him, but the battery is a weak spot due to the fact that it's nonremovable. All batteries eventually no longer hold a charge, so your iPad will eventually be useless until it's serviced by Apple for a new battery.

It's a relatively moot point though, as you'll have probably replaced it with something newer by the time that happens.