Just curious...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nate.h.45, Dec 1, 2007.

1. nate.h.45

nate.h.45 New Member

Ok, I'm WAY too cheap to buy my own iPod touch, but I've heard of some websites that help you get one for free. Now, I know it's against the rules to post links to these types of sites, so could someone PM me a link to one that has worked for them. (Or they have gotten it from someone who said it worked for them....)

Thanks in advance...
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Take my word for it. You don't want to try. I've never done it myself (and never will) but I'll give you the rundown on how it essentially works:

1. You sign up for a site that claims to give you a free iPod.
    2. It gives you links to other sites to visit. You will be given credit for each site you visit and participate in whatever is on them. Some of these sites may have surveys, and most will require you to sign up for a newsletter or some other spammy service. For the surveys, you will have to take them in order to get the credit.
    3. When you get enough credits, you will be able to trade them in by some method for a free iPod.

The real catch is that you will have to visit many hundreds of sites before you have enough credits. This will also guarantee that whatever E-Mail address you use to sign up for these pages will be absolutely brimming with spam -- hundreds of pieces daily. And it has to be a valid E-Mail address that you can receive E-Mails to because some sites will require authentication to agree to the signup. The primary site you started all of this from will probably need that E-Mail address too for however it processes transactions for "free" stuff.

It's a long process, it's a major pain in the ass, and you are basically signing up to have your E-Mail address put on every spam list in existence. Not worth it.
  3. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    Not if you get a gmail account. I made a seperate one and all the spam is automaticaally forewarded to the spam inbox. But mindfield is right. You have to have a lot of patience. It will take you a good 2-3 months to get your free ipod touch.
  4. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

It's a lot easier in the long run to get a quick part time job and buy one than get one for free. Besides, you'll feel proud if you buy one yourself!
  5. shotgunfool

shotgunfool Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    this is exactly what i did im 15 and i saved up my wadges untill i got 275 gbp and when it came through the post (Got it on day of release) i was over THE MOON with myself!!!!

its a great feeling knowing that you dont need to go and ask your parents for money all the time
  6. Fatfrank

Fatfrank New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    good for you, hard work usually will pay off in the long run; too many people always trying to get something for nothing.............
  7. gnr69

gnr69 New Member

You can't get iPot for free..These sites are sh*t, you'll probably get virus.
    I already went on a site and there was a pub saying ''you're the 100000000000th visitor, get your laptop now!''
    I clicked on it (just curious) and I had to give my adress, phone number etc., and CREDIT CARD.

yeh right..
  8. Evalocity7

Evalocity7 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Some of the free sites are legit...I use to participate on one for credit on this one game I use to play. I received the game credit in the mail in about less than a week from when they said they shipped it. I can imagine that for an iPod Touch you would need near 200 credits or more to get it, which would take FOREVER, considering the highest amount of credits you can get are in the credit card section (Meaning you have to sign up for stuff with your credit card) and even then you only get about 20 to 30 points at the most.

So lets see...In the end you'll end up with an iPod Touch...But was it really free? You spent:

1. Sent your credit card number to unknown sites.
    2. Gave your email to unknown sites which results in huge numbers of spam.
    3. Weeks of filling out surveys.

Worth it? No.
  9. Midnight

Midnight New Member

You can't??! NOW you tell me.

Please Register or Log in to view images

|
    |
    |
    V
  10. nate.h.45

nate.h.45 New Member

Thanks.

Alright guys, thanks for you're advice.

I'm going to try to take the "high road" and earn the money myself. My only problem is I would like to get it before January 1st.

(We leave to go skiing in Colorado (I live in Louisiana) Jan 1st and I'd love to take it on my trip.)

Also, I need about half a day to sync everything up and customize it myself.

(I don't plan to jailbreak though. I'll wait for the SDK...)