Just bought one of these.

Discussion in 'Music, Movies, TV, and Videos' started by SkylarEC, Sep 2, 2010.

1. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/danelectro/ded59modbk/ded59modbk.php

It's a Danelectro DC-2 reissue. It's the first sub $1000 guitar that I've bought in a long time, but that's okay: I've wanted one of these for as long as I've been playing guitar (about ten years now). Prior to the 2010 reissue, there was always something wrong, one detail or another missing. This is the first one factory made that matches what I want in a Danelectro.

I've spent thousands on guitars, but it's an entirely different feeling when you buy something you've always wanted. I can't wait for the delivery to drop it off!

YouTube: An original DC-2
    And another: Kashmir

(I plan on refinishing the guitar with a sparkle black top, leaving the back as it is. Depending on how the nickel pickups look with the sparkle, I may swap out to a chrome pickup set (or just new covers)).
  2. ThePodofi

ThePodofi Well-Known Member

holy crap that looks sick you should post an unboxing pic?video!!!
  3. SkylarEC

4. metalmilitia

metalmilitia Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    hahah nice guitars. I'll stick with the les paul/king v shaped guitars.
  5. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

That is sexy. SO SEXY.
  6. SkylarEC

Alright. Due to UPS not operating on Labor Day, the guitar took a little longer to get to my house than usual. Today, in fact.

My first impression on the guitar was astonisment at the weight of the thing. It weighs about a pound less than an SG, and about a full 33% less than my strats ot teles (I prefer ash bodied Fenders). The guitar feels airy and almost weightless when you strap it on. The downside of this is that the guitar has a sort of "toy" to it.

A consideration before I ordered the guitar was the neck. Considering my number one guitar's neck is almost an inch thick at the twelfth fret (.98"), I was worried the thinness of the neck. I mean, I totally prefer big beefy necks in all instances. Well, the Danelectro's neck, despite being markedly thin was surprisingly comfortable. The neck with its thinness measuring in at .78" at the nut and .88" at the twelfth fret is slightly thinner than a standard Fender neck (my Tele, for example, is .845 at the first fret and .894 at the twelfth fret) and about the size of a thin SG neck (.79" - .89", more or less).

The other major concern I had going into this guitar was the 14" fingerboard radius. Coming from predominantly playing Fenders with a 9.5" finger board radius, I worried about this guitar's 14" radius. I can barely stand to play a Gibson with its 12" radius board. This is the difference between being the Danelectro being a guitar I play and a guitar I simply hang on the wall. Well, as it stands, it is still a toss up. There are times while playing this guitar that It felt like the fingerboard actually had a concave radius. I don't necessarily like the feel of a flatter fingerboard, but I think I'll hold out for a while. I have a Tele in the shop that needed a replacement neck from Fender. After six months of waiting, I'll hopefully finally get the guitar back next week. The new neck will come with a compound radius, starting at 9.5" and ending at 14". I think that new neck will help easy my fingers into the flatter radius.

The fit and finish of the guitar was a little subpar. Or, it was exactly par. I haven't bought or even played a guitar this inexpensive in a long time. The frets needed a good polishing, and there was a small crack in the tape that goes around the body's edge. I also noticed a couple of small divots in the fingerboard where it looks like someone's screwdriver slipped. None of this stuff is a dealbreaker for this guitar. The actual matte finish of the guitar also make the guitar look and feel "cheap." Although the finish is a non issue, as I plan on refinishing the front of the guitar.

Sonically, the guitar sounds a little warm. I hear that's the way the new pickups are supposed to sound. The pickups are wound hotter than the standard Danelectro pickup and have a slightly warmer sound. This, of course, can be compensated for by tweaking the tone knobs and kicking on my BOSS FDR-1 pedal which I use to brighten up my tone when I plug into my Marshall.

The first two songs I played on this guitar were: the original Legend of Zelda Theme and Triumph's Petit Etude (couldn't find the original, so this cover will have to suffice). I chose those two songs for two reasons. The two were among the first songs I wanted to learn how to play on the guitar. And this guitar is one that I've always wanted ever since I started playing (but was never available). The Legen of Zelda sated my nostalgia while Petite Etude is a song I know so well that I can play it without even thinking. In fact, it and Babe I'm Gonna Leave You are the two songs I play when I go to test out the feel of a guitar.

After that, I tuned the guitar down to DADGAD, where it will likely remain permanently. I nailed Kashmir pretty quickly, then moved on to start learning White Summer/Black Mountainside, which will hopefully tide me over until I get my Tele back from the shop next week. Given the warmer sound of the new pickups, it took a bit of playing around, but I found that I can almost nail the original tones of those two songs. At least the guitar comes close enough to sound good.

All in all, my overall opinion of the guitar is that it is of surprisingly high quality for a cheap semi hollow guitar.

I'll report more feelings on this guitar as they come to me over the next few days or so.

EDIT: Pic: http://twitpic.com/2mx5k5
  7. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I feel a tingling sensation in the you know where part.