Just bought a macbook

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by buckycat, Nov 18, 2008.

1. buckycat

buckycat New Member

I just bought a macbook, the $1599 model

Please Register or Log in to view images

, and since it's my first mac, I have a few questions:

1. What's the best IRC client for macs?
    2. If I ever need to use windows in the future, what's the best way to do it?
    3. What's the best ******* client for macs?
    4. How can I switch my iPod to the new computer?
    5. What's the best iPod video converter for macs?
    6. How can I switch all my music over from my windows vista laptop(which has a broken CD drive)?
  2. specialsyco

specialsyco New Member

3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    1. There are two. Colloquy and Lime chat are my most favorites. Though some prefer xChat Aqua. Linkinus is a good Shareware IRC Client.
    2. Dualboot. Thats all there is to it. You'd install it as if you would on a PC. Partition and install. You can choose to use Disk Utility or Boot Camp assistant to partition. VMWare Fusion, Parallels Desktop are good Shareware Virtualization Apps. Lets you run Windows while still in OS X. Only good for little things like Apps you may need on Windows. VirtualBox and QEMU are Freeware versions. And then we come to DarWINE (Free) and CrossOver (Shareware). They let you install Windows Apps on Mac OS X and use them as if they were Mac apps.
    3. Best ******* client for Mac OS X is by far Transmission. Nothing else compares.
    4. Make sure to Deauthorize the old computer by going to Store > Deautrhorize Computer. Then just drag your iTunes Music Folder from old to New into the Music folder of the Mac.
    5. The best WAS VisualHub until it got discontinued. Check the Ultimate List for alternatives that do just as good.
  4. drkassassin

drkassassin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1. What's the best IRC client for macs? WHat the guy on top said
    2. If I ever need to use windows in the future, what's the best way to do it? Boot camp install then use vmware if you need to access certain programs(and u can use bootcamp to boot into the native install too if u want)
    3. What's the best ******* client for macs? transmission
    4. How can I switch my iPod to the new computer? after u get ur music onto the mac then just resync( i THINK it needs to be reformatted or something..just the storage..doesnt affect anything else)
    5. What's the best iPod video converter for macs? check the above link
    6. How can I switch all my music over from my windows vista laptop(which has a broken CD drive)? if the music is on ur ipod use senuti to get it into itunes

p.s. i got the 1600 too
    lovin it
  5. troublesome_killa

troublesome_killa Member

thanks to this thread I found a good ******* client for my MacBook

I had Bit******* and it was going to take like 17 days to download Office....
  6. buckycat

buckycat New Member

Thanks for the replies guys

7. lilbrzboi

lilbrzboi New Member

hey man i got my $1600 macbook 3 weeks ago and im new to mac as well. i use transmissions for *******s, and vmware fusion for vista. It runs vista really well but kind of bogs down leopard.

and to get those files from the old vista laptop go to system preferences on the mac, sharing, and enable everything except for remote login/management/apple events/xgrid sharing/ and internet sharing.

On the vista laptop go to start>control panel> classic view> network and sharing center>and enable everything except for printer sharing unless desired. Then from that window click view computers and devices. find your macbook icon and double click. itll ask for a login and password. you get the login from system prefrences, sharing, and right under computer name itll tell you the login and password is your regular password.
  8. buckycat

buckycat New Member

9. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

congrats
    i hope you enjoy it
  10. andrewpiro

andrewpiro New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    welcome to the macbook club.