Just About to Jailbreak for the First Time

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by GuiltySpark, Apr 8, 2009.

1. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark New Member

Hello everyone, I'm sure you get lots of posts like these and I hope you don't mind one more.

I'm about to jailbreak my little brothers 2G iPod Touch, mainly so he can use one or two of the emulators on it. I have one or two questions though.

Is it worth me waiting for QuickPWN? Or should I just use redTool or QuickFreedom? Is there any difference between the end result?

What's the difference between Cydia and Installer? What do they do exactly? Which do I need?

Finally, how would I go about restoring my iPod Touch to its, non Jailbroken, retail state?

Thanks very much for your time. I look forward to reading your answers.

Cheers.
  2. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    quickfreedom and redtool is just fine.

cydia made by saurik and installer made by ripdev

i prefer cydia. its widely used nowadays.

you can restore with any f/w, jailbroken/or not.
  3. Yezzir

Yezzir New Member

Use redtool. It helped me out much more than quickfreedom which was confusing for me.
    There really isn't a big difference between the two, not sure about QuickPWN though. There isn't much of a difference between cydia or installer, but cydia is more widely used. Both these programs allow you to download third party apps. To restore back to a normal state, just put your iPod in DFU mode, and click restore in itunes. If you want to jailbreak again, shift click restore and find the custom patch.
  4. Ranko95

Ranko95 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ive never used redtool or quickfreedom. Ive always done things manually, so i dont have any thoughts on those guys. And cydia and installer both let you use third party apps, its just a matter of which you prefer. (nowadays cydia is the sh*t!!) lol. and to restore you can simply plug your ipod in to your computer and click the big restore button. if its not working properly then you can put it into dfu mode and restore. (you can find hundreds of threads about dfu with the search button)
  5. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Use redTool or Quickfreedom. I tried bot h and say redTool is easier.

Cydia is amazing. Forget about Installer.

To restore just restore to non jailbroken firmware
  6. shiben589

shiben589 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    redtool, quickfreedom is not as stable (people hav reported bugs) and quickpwn is the same as those two, but its not released yet

cydia, because installer is glitchy and awful

to restore, you plug your ipod into itunes, whne the screen pops up with info about it, press the restore button and it will go back to an official apple firmware (the most recent one)
  7. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Use Redtool. Its the easiest and most user friendly jailbreak for what your doing.

Cydia and Installer do both the same thing. They download 3rd party applications onto your iPod Touch. Now, Installer is pretty glitchy at the moment but "Installer 5" hopefully won't be. For now, Use Cydia. If you have problems with it, Post here and I'm sure we'll be glad to help you

You'll have to enter DFU mode (Device Firmware Upgrade). Once your iPod is in DFU mode, You'll need to connect it to your computer via USB. Then, Pop up iTunes and it will prompt you, Telling you your iPod is in "Restore" mode. Click on restore and in a minute or 2 your iPod will be completely back to normal with no trace of being jailbroken.
  8. Allekks

Allekks New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ^^
    No Trace Is Reaching
    Jailbreaking Will Always Leave Traces. But They Can Only Be Spotted If The Person looking Knows What They Are Looking For And A Really Really Anal.
  9. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Why do you capitalize every letter? Looks weird..

And just do what they said. Don't install Installer.

and if you're on a PC, i'd wait for QuickPwn for a very, very easy jailbreak. But redTool works fine too.
  10. Allekks

Allekks New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It's A Deathly Habit