Just a General Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ipod_Touch_Owner_Tyler, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Ipod_Touch_Owner_Tyler

Ipod_Touch_Owner_Tyler New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I Got the iPhone 3G from my friend. He traded my iPod touch 2G for a black 16GB iPhone3g. I restored it and whatnot, and its working fine. I have a GoPhone Pay as You Go sim and it works fine for texting and calls. But what about internet. I Heard wherever i can get 3g, the 3g is free. also, does the turn-by-turn GPS in Maps charge for internet usage? or is it free since its GPS?
    thanks for any replies received.
  2. Hazed

Hazed Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    3G internet access isn't free, you need to purchase a data plan. Also, "turn-by-turn GPS" isn't available on the iPhone... At least not here in europe...

There is an application set to be released over here that supposedly had turn-by-turn, but whether or not it will be any good is yet to be seen.
  3. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

You will pay for any data especially with the Go Phone. I switched because AT+T took away there unlimited data plan for the Go Phone's. The 3G is not free and they will charge you for using it. The Wi-Fi is free and that may be what your thinking is the 3G.

The turn by turn GPS does use data when you are on a cellular network (I don't think it will work without a network connection).
  4. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Hell no 3G isn't free.
    You might be lucky to to get Edge.
  5. Ipod_Touch_Owner_Tyler

Device:
    iPod touch
    yeah bcause i know the diffrence between wifi and 3g. I only thought that the 3g was even remotely free because i saw a video on youtube where the guy said something like "Wherever you can 3g... at least its free" It was a PCWorld video. Thx for all the clarifacation.... i might not even get my iphone back.... it got taken away by a teacher at school.... damn sweatshirt pockets... it fell out and she took it..... Ironic - SHE HAS AN IPHONE ALREADY. But one more question..... If i already upgraded to 2.2.1 and jailbroke, i have lost ALL possibility for unlocking, right? if so its ok... i can stick with gophone if i have to. But if i can i might switch to T-Mobile. Thanks, I Love this forum, its awesome.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

If it's on 2.2.1 you are kind of SOL. You won't be able to use the Go Phone plan with it (yet). You could do the "Flex Pay" but you'll pay the same as a regular plan. You need to unlock the phone to use it as a Go Phone; even though it is AT+T it is not the iPhone plan and won't work on a "virgin" phone.

Not sure what video you're watching but 3G is not free. Also, just so you know the 3G works fine with T-Mobile but you will not be able to use their 3G network with the iPhone 3G. The edge still works fine (slower than AT+T in some areas) but the 3G will not work.
  7. Ipod_Touch_Owner_Tyler

Device:
    iPod touch

My Sim works fine, and im on 2.2.1, the SIm doesnt even say gophone. in all my other phones, it said At&t. so, IDK... maybe just luck? I have been able to call and stuff. Actually im putting like 50 bucks worth of airtime on it wednesday... sold my old broken 1st gen up on CL...

I havent been able to get onto the internet with it though... maybe because im out of airtime.... LOL

i have been texting with it though.. IDK

i actually think that t-mobile sims work in the iphone without unlocking.... becuse my friend took my sim out and put his T-Mobile sim in it..... and IT WORKED!!! i called my house with it... maybe im just frickin lucky as hell.... IDK.

BIG MYSTERIES!!!
  8. dette

dette New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Maybe you are lucky as hell because that should DEFINITELY NOT happen! So I applaud you if you found a way to do it without Yellowsn0w and on 2.2.1... Wow haha