just a few questions (3.1 firmware)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by razor_blade29, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razor_blade29

razor_blade29 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    so i dont have it yet but i will have a itouch 32gig 3g (3.1+ firmware) within 3 weeks and i would like to ask a few questions:

1)ive been searching and i couldnt find an "untethered" jail break for it... can anyone point me to one plz? (its 3g, not 1g)

2)once its jail broken i heard everything is deleted... is this true? will i lose everything after it jail breaks? if so can this all be backed up and restored rather than downloading everything again?

3) similar to question 2... i heard if u update it (while jailbroken) u lose everything and u cant back up jailbroken apps(unless u use aptbackup from cydia).. is this true? (wich leads to the next question)

4)*removed* against rules apparently

5) if i sync itunes while its jail broken will the jailbroken apps be removed? is there an app or something to prevent this if so?

6) IF there is no untethered jail break... can u plz point me to one that is in development if possible

Please Register or Log in to view images

? tethered sounds like nuissance...

7)(edit question) i forgot to ask... how do you tell the 2g and 3g apart? they look really similar... maybe something is written on it?

i know its prolly better to buy it and then try for myself and actually experiment with itunes but im just the curious type =p...... thx

(sorry if these have been asked before just kinda in a rush and since u guys know alot more u can prolly answer these really easily)
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

1) There is no untethered version.
    2) No, you will not lose everything.
    3) True, if you update, you will lose the jailbreak and therefore lose the jailbroken apps. But you can backup your jailbroken apps using aptbackup.
    4) Illegal, buy your apps.
    5) No, they will not be removed.
    6) This is the only one in development:
    Blog: http://chronic-dev.org/blog/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/chronicdevteam
    7) By the model number. Settings > General > About. If it starts with MB, then it's 2G, if it starts with MC, then it's 3G.
  3. razor_blade29

razor_blade29 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    thx for the answers =].... and at your response to #4...
    so wats cydia and [PIRACY]us for then =p(aint it to download apps)? and that didnt answer the question kinda XD.. i asked how could u back up [PIRACY]us apps =].

soz if u think i dont know wat im talkin about =p... dont have it yet and just speaking from my general knowledge about it XD
  4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Cydia is for apps, tweaks and themes (which can be free or paid) that are NOT in the app store. [PIRACY]us is to download apps for free, when they are supposed to be paid for through the app store, which is called pirating.
  5. razor_blade29

razor_blade29 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ahh thx =]..so basically cydia is legal [PIRACY]us is illegal? kk
  6. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Basically, yes.
  7. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    There is no untethered jailbreak for the iPod touch 3G

[QOUTE]2)once its jail broken i heard everything is deleted... is this true? will i lose everything after it jail breaks? if so can this all be backed up and restored rather than downloading everything again?[/QOUTE]
    No, you do not lose anything at all.

[QOUTE]3) similar to question 2... i heard if u update it (while jailbroken) u lose everything and u cant back up jailbroken apps.. is this true? (wich leads to the next question)[/QOUTE]
    Yes, you do lose everything. You can back up jailbroken apps though.

[QOUTE]4)i heard you cant back up cydia apps unless u have aptbackup...but i cant find anything about backing up [PIRACY]us apps (unless i heard wrong or something)... how do you back those up?[/QOUTE]
    It's illegal to talk about pirated apps, therefore, you might get banned for a short time as a warning. Next time, read the rules.

[QOUTE]5) if i sync itunes while its jail broken will the jailbroken apps be removed? is there an app or something to prevent this if so?[/QOUTE]
    No, none of the jailbroken apps will be removed if you sync with iTunes.

[QOUTE]6) IF there is no untethered jail break... can u plz point me to one that is in development if possible

? tethered sounds like nuissance...[/QOUTE]
    Just be patient if you think tethered is a nuissance.

[QOUTE]7)(edit question) i forgot to ask... how do you tell the 2g and 3g apart? they look really similar... maybe something is written on it?[/QUOTE]
    Look at the sticker in front of the box and if it has a Voice memos app, then that's the iPod touch 3G. Also if the model number starts with MC, then it's a 3G. With 32GB iPod touch, if it comes with headphones with remote+mic, then that's an iPod touch 3G.

EDIT; damm I'm slow at typing...
  8. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ignorance is not an excuse. Piracy is illegal. Obtaining something for free when you should pay for it is theft. Read our forum rules to get a better grip of what is permitted on our iPtF (hint: discussing piracy is not).

Thread closed
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.