Just a couple of ?s about SSH, Battery life, and security

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by WiLLGT09, Oct 17, 2007.

1. WiLLGT09

WiLLGT09 New Member

Hey everyone,

I just jailbroke my iPod tonight (or yesterday depending on your timezone). AriX's iJailbreak obviously installed SSH (which I assume was used to install the iPhone apps, correct?). Now is openSSH the app, that if a certain SSH background app is running will drain my battery life? I haven't installed openSSH (i don't really have a need for it right now). Also, with the "alpine" password, is my iPod now at risk unless I change the password?

Thanks.
  2. music4life

music4life Active Member

First off, yes I've heard that the SSH does drain your battery so downloading that program that allows you to turn it off is very handy for conserving your battery life. Also, no the password "alpine" is the universal password for ssh, you're fine, no need to worry about it. Hope I've answered your questions correctly

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. WiLLGT09

WiLLGT09 New Member

so, I should download openSSH? or will i run into that problem if I install openSSH but do turn it off?
  4. music4life

music4life Active Member

Well, I actually haven't gotten around to doing this process lemme go ahead and download it right now and I will report back immediately with results...HOLD PLEASE

5. music4life

music4life Active Member

DOUBLE POST :\ Anyways...

RESULTS: Download openSSH and then download "services" and when you're not doing SSH turn off both ssh it helps preserve battery life
  6. WiLLGT09

WiLLGT09 New Member

7. oliath

oliath New Member

could someone please clarify for me what the ssh stuff does and why i need it?
    i have a jailbroken ipod touch.
  8. MegaMan

MegaMan New Member

yup just turn off ssh with services
    this makes it more secure and less drain on the battery

9. DJ Xander

DJ Xander New Member

ssh allows u to access ur ipod wirelessly from ur computer it kills battery cuz its always looking for a connection even when ur not using it so its best to turn it off mine got pretty bad i charged it in the morning and by 2nd period it was drained to the charge ur ipod screen.... so its reaaaaaly worth turning it off
  10. Viper2005

Viper2005 New Member

I find that even with SSH turned off, my battery life has decreased significantly.
    Don't forget apps are still running even if you "close" them by pressing the home button. The way to make an app "quit" is to hold the home button for 5 secs.. that will force the active app to quit.