Joypad evolution - InfoGraphic

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by qaiz, Oct 12, 2010.

1. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Joypad evolution

Steve Cable, a self renowned 'User Experience Consultant' has conjured up an image that certainly caught my attention. It is an image that,well essentially is a Joypad Evolution Family Tree.

As much as we don't realize, Joypads have changed over the years in many ways, except they all do the same thing, they bring us joy! (Unless you get frustrated at throw the defenseless pad onto the floor!)

This infographic shows off how controllers have changed and where the controllers get there traits from.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Click Image to get a much larger version

Nintendo's Revolutions

Looking at Nintendo's history of controllers shows a rich and inventive variety of designs. Nintendo is one of the only companies that are actually trying to push the boundaries of what is possible with controllers.

The Powerglove and the virtualBoy, both flopped

Controllers such as the PowerGlove, and the VertualBoy were certainly beyond the competition but unfortunately were also beyond what was actually possible back then. This meant that the controllers failed commercially.

The D-pad on the Game And Watch and the motion controlled WiiMote were huge successes

Other controllers from the Kyoto based company however are far from failures. The WiiMote is a huge success, with PlayStation following its success with the recently released PlayStation Move. Even more importantly however is the 'Game and Watch' device that was the first device to have a D-Pad. A feature used in every Game Controller ever since. Nintendo were also the first to implement a Vibration Feature in the oddly shaped Nintendo 64 controller. The Super Nintendo Entertainment Controller was also the first to have four face buttons and a Shoulder buttons.

PlayStation's Evolution

Sony, on the other hand have constrained to subtle changes in the controllers.

The PlayStation Controls has seen small changes over time.

The great thing about this is that when a console comes out, the learning curve is much smaller. It also means there is less chances to get it wrong, but this is very lazy as we expect not the worst from Sony, but the best.

Evolution or Revolution?

Nintendo's successful innovations were not created for innovations sake. they came out of constraints. The D-Pad was implemented due to the fact the conventional Joystick was too big for a clamshell handheld. The Wiimote was designed due to the fact Nintendo were in a loosing battle in an arms race of hardcore gaming machines. They needed to re-think gaming as a whole, which included how games are controlled.

This shows that innovation in interface design can be a great success, but you should only use it if its absolutely necessary.
  2. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well to be fair
    Sony has been on the console game since N64, N64 and and NGC controllers are more or less the same not identical twins (like psone/ps2) but basically the same, the NGC controller just cached up to the PSone controller

Yes the Wii changed it but so does move
  3. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Nintendo bought D-Pad, Vibration, the standard 4 face buttons and shoulder buttons as well as motion controls into the video game industry and you say thats 'catching up to the PlayStation"

Also the GameCube controller looks miles different, the D-Pad has moved, it has 2 analogue.

Move hasn't changed anything, its just enhanced the controller Nintendo already had.

Also, I didn't want to pull this out, but here it is in context

PS:Its only Video Games

4. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nah you didn't t understand my point
    What i meant is that The N64 had catching up to do with the PSone controller, the design was clearly not up to next gen 3D game that would heavily rely on analog sticks and shoulder buttons

PS1 controller>N64 Controller agree?
    And i always liked the PS2 controller so much more than the NGC one, find the controls more comfortable and less awkward than the GC, ever heard of the phrase why fix what it aint broken? But i understand is preference the likings of controls

In the end my point was that Sony changed just as Nintendo the controller designs, and the article was a bit misleading towards that

Yes Nintendo where the ones to exploits the blue ocean