jiggy apps not working properly

Discussion in 'Jiggy Runtime Development' started by rob spriggs, Jul 2, 2008.

1. rob spriggs

rob spriggs New Member

jiggy apps not working properly ***fixed***

hi, i have made an application that has a few functions, including moving apps to a different folder to hide them, and also another to change permissions of a certain app,

for some reason they are not working when launched through the spring board, it goes through the motion but doesnt actually do what is asked. if i launch tha app through the jiggy ide then it is all ok,

i have tried changing all files to 0755 and also 0777, restored and rejailbreaked my iphone with iliberty+2, also tried it with only the minimum amount of jiggy apps on the ipod.

all to no use. has anyone else experienced this, and managed to get a work around? at the minute all my work has been to no use.

thanks in advance
  2. PAEz

PAEz New Member

Its not Jiggy, your app is working exactly as it should

Please Register or Log in to view images

I think its something to do with....um....owner/group mobile/root things...dont know the right words to use.
    If you get properties of the Jiggy file in your app directory with winSCP you need to change the owner or group I just cant remember to what, sorry.
    Have a look on the jiggy google group, this has been covered there a couple of times.
  3. rob spriggs

rob spriggs New Member

hi, after a few days of relentless reading i have not gotten anywhere,

i have restored and rejailbreaked with iliberty+2 and also Ziphone 3,
    read up on chowning???
    changed the owner and run to mobile, root and everything else that i could think off, still no good. i have worked out that it runs fine if i execute the file through ssh.

is anyone able to explain what chown actually does or at least point to a place that can explain it.
    has anybody else had this prob and managed to work it out?

thanks

just had a thought, as i am unable to link my ipod to the internet,( currently serving in Iraq) i have had to download all of the files and load them onto my ipod via ssh, this includes, bsd subsystems, jiggy, and a few otherthings as well. is this a problem? i have tried ssh'ing them onto ipod and also making payloads via ilibery and ziphone,

one more question, when you open jiggy from the springboard is it meant to connect automatically to the wifi or not? mine doesnt i have to execute it from ssh?

lots of qs i know but please help
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    ok, fixed it, after countless hours of mucking about i found that Ziphone sets the permissions to mobile:root or somthing like that, i have now changed to password.password file so that everytime the ipod boots up it boots up as root instead as mobile. if anybody else needs to know how to do this then let me know and i can dig it out again

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. mcc99

mcc99 New Member

chown,passwd

@rob spriggs: Basically, the iPod touch and iPhone run all apps as 'root' in fw ver. 1.1.3 and below. In 1.1.4 they all run as 'mobile'. This leads to ridiculous situations such as folders and app files that you would like to frack with within your own custom apps being owned by 'root' and so not modifiable while the O/S runs as 'mobile', a user of lesser permissions. Changing 'mobile' to have the same permissions as 'root' only blows the security-- more on that below.

Having apps run as 'root' was a huge security blunder that Apple has quietly addressed in 1.1.4, in addition to breaking Mail and Youtube (that was a free bonus from them, yippee). However anyone still on =< 1.1.3 maintains this problem unless he takes action to suppress the crackability of his unit. One thing to do is change the root password on the unit. I have tried this on my iPod touch and have had no problems running apps. Use the 'passwd' command in a terminal session to do this. You will first have to log in as root and supply the default password which by this time everyone knows is 'alpine', then run the 'passwd' utility. [ see http://www.ss64.com/bash/passwd.html ]

Better than re-breaking and hacking password.password, just use 'chown' [ http://www.ss64.com/bash/chown.html ] to change directory ownership on the directories you are trying to move around. They are probably owned by 'root' and so simply need to be chown'ed over to 'mobile' while logged in as 'root' in a terminal session. That way you can avoid running your unit as 'root', which only puts you back into the security mess Apple made for us in the pre-1.1.4 days. You are also a little less likely to run into problems with other apps that "assume" files owned by 'mobile', plus some other criteria, are a subject of their use, while those owned by 'root' are not; this could lead to malfunctions in those apps later on but I'd say that is a 1~5% concern for you. Running as 'root' is more of a 100% concern when looking at what malicious apps or hackers could do to your unit if they get in. That is why I suggest changing your root password unless you have a good reaosn not to. And remember you can always 'passwd' back to 'alpine' from your new password over a PC-based terminal session if you need to change it back due to an unexpected lockout, but like I said, I don't think you'll have that problem.

Good luck over there!
  5. pabloppp

pabloppp New Member

I've tried chowning the app folder to mobile but nothing...
    I need help...

EDIT:
    Fixed!