Jeailbreak Observations/Directives

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by mjhamilton, Feb 1, 2008.

1. mjhamilton

mjhamilton New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have been a member of this forum for a while and have a few frustrations with the general attitude of some of the member so thought I would create a quick post with some general 'prime directives' that should be considered when Jailbreaking an iPod....

- Apple do not support the JB process so do not complain about issues - you are making a product do something it was not designed to do and this is always problematic
    - The internet is a big and complex place, servers get overloaded - do not moan about slow downloads and sources taking ages to refresh - these are being offered free by teams of great people - remember.. you get what you pay for!!
    - Just because you are having a problem is does not always mean everyone else is.. do not assume this is the case
    - Search the forums before posting - 99% of issues are already logged and the solutions are out there
    - Use a descriptive title for your post - 'OMG' or 'Summerboard' just annoys everyone
    - If you do not know what SSH is then go away and learn before asking for some online forum training
    - JB process is not for the novice - a level of UNIX knowledge is required
    - Do not b*tch about the various JB processes - these guys are doing a great job - and let's face it they are doing stuff that most people wouldn't not have a clue about
    - It is virtually impossible to 'brick' an iPod - if you are stuck in a restore state then you are doing something wrong - anyone convinced that they cannot repair, I will gladly purchase your 'brick' for $50

Please Register or Log in to view images

- It is always better to do a factory reset to 1.1.1 before JB'ing to the next level - if you go from 1.1.2 --> 1.1.3 after making a lot of mods and installing loads of apps you are increasing you potential issue risk massively
    - 1.1.3 JB works with no problems - if you follow the very useful guides posted by people like SkylarEC and many other all will work - I have a JB1.1.3 and it is very stable with no issues
    - Take a deep breath and relax - the world is not going to stop spinning on it's axis and crash into the sun if you don't make it work first time

Most importantly - if you want a 100% bug free IPod that wont crash, run out of diskspace with a great battery..... then do not JB!!!!

Rant over
  2. Gaming Warrior

Gaming Warrior New Member

i agree with 99% of this thread, i do not agree with "1.1.3 JB works with no problems" i and many other have had problem after problem i see inconsistency as a problem so in my eyes 1.1.3 JB does have problems.
  3. mjhamilton

mjhamilton New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    the point is that anything outside of normal paramters will problems... JB opens the system and an open system in untrained hands = problems!!

.. people should just accept this as the rule and not the exception
  4. ra3don

ra3don New Member

Thanks for this. I feel educated already!