JBuds J3 Micro Atomic Noise Isolating Earbuds Review

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by rmc08, Nov 29, 2009.

1. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    JLab Audio was willing to send me a sample of the JBuds J3 earphones for me to review here at iPod Touch Fans, so you (the reader) can learn about how well this product works, and to also see if the earphones are the right ones for you. This is in no way a biased review, nor is it an advertisement in order to get you to buy their product. This review is strictly my opinion!

JBuds J3 Micro Atomic Noise Isolating Earbuds

Visit Homepage

Please Register or Log in to view images

Review Notes:

Hey guys, here's another one of my great reviews! BUT..., today there will be a change. I have a new way of reviewing the audio aspect of the earphones. The audio will have 3 subcategories which are noise cancellation, bass and treble/mid. The 3 subcategories will have their own scores, but will be averaged together to make the Audio Score. Then of course, I will have first impressions, comfort and build quality. I just thought you should know of these changes. Also, no unboxing video was needed, you'll understand why later in the review. Thanks for reading my reviews, I hope you enjoy this one!

Click Pictures For VERY High-Resolution!

First Impressions

When I saw the box in the mail, it was relatively small, about 3-4 inches long. I tore it open, and low and behold there were the earphones... but where's the box that they should come in? Well, the reason of no box is because they have a special "Frustration-Free" packaging. But personally, I enjoy opening boxes and getting all the goodies that the earphones come with. So anyway, inside was simply a plastic bag with the earphones, manual, carrying case, and some 4 different sized ear pieces. Anyway, enough of this stuff. Off to the build quality!

Build Quality

When I picked up the earphones, I didn't notice any heaviness. The earphones are made of a very light metal, but are very sturdy. The wires separating the 2 earpieces into a V shape, though, are very thin. They feel very sturdy although they are thin. So if I were to get them caught on something and started walking, they shouldn't rip or anything.

Next we have the carrying case, which is also sturdy. When squeezing it, it is not possible to touch the 2 sides together. For instance, if I were lying down, it will not damage the earphones. A great thing about the case is that it is so small, and has such a nice looking shape.

Lastly, we have the 3.5mm jack. It is gold plated which allows for more conductivity when it is plugged in. Other earphones sometimes have just normal metal, which isn't as conductive, and later leads to static audio and crackling. These earphones will last a lot longer with a gold plated 3.5mm jack.

Comfort Quality

These earphones, right out of the box, fit into my ears very snugly. These earphones don't give me the feeling like they're stretching out my ears, and this is good because overtime they still feel great. The wires are made of plastic, and they don't make noises when they rub up against my clothes. They are also thin wires, so they do not make obnoxious "thwomp" noises when they hit my clothes when I move around. Overall, these earphones are like most in-ear earphones, and they feel great when in use.

Time to test out my new reviewing system

Audio Quality

Noise Isolation

These earphones have astonishing noise isolation, better than most earphones I have used. My V-Moda Vibe II's isolate noise well, but I've noticed that it also garbles outside noises so they are still somewhat noticeable. These, for the most part, block out all outside noises. I've had people trying to get my attention while I listened to music, and they had to tap on my shoulder to get my attention. THAT'S how you know when it's working well! Even while in a car or on a bus, there are zero outside noises, except the ones traveling through your body due to vibrations which are obviously unavoidable

Bass

On their site, the bass was advertised as "tight, punchy bass". I could say it was very "tight", but I had wished there was more "punch". The Radius Atomic Bass earphones, listed at the same price, have a lot more bass than the JBuds J3 earphones. Though, the bass is still very good for people that love Trance (which uses balanced amounts of steady bass). Here is a good example of Trance: Click Here

People that like hardstyle or hardcore bass music should pick earphones with a harder bass, since these earphones aren't built to have a pumping tough bass. These earphones are made to be used for pop, rock, alternative, electronica, trance, etc.

Treble/Mid

The mid on these earphones are absolutely fantastic. They are ultra-high, and when listening to pop music I heard sounds never heard before with my lower frequency earphone (probably all the bass getting in the way with other earphones). These are great for electronica and trance since they are not genre's primarily based off of the bass, just more of the Treble/Mid. Sometimes when using these earphones, the treble can be a bit too high. Some electronica has the tendency to make screeching beep noises, so it can hurt my ears sometimes. Just make sure to listen to music at a normal level, don't go all out with the volume bar! Overall, it has the richest Treble and Mid from all the earphones I've used.

Now for the results...

Audio Quality: 9.3

• Noise Isolation: 9.5
    • Bass: 9.0
    • Treble Mid: 9.5

The kind of bass these earphones have are VERY balanced. Personally I like it when it's amp'd up, but the bass these hold are great for literally every genre, and the music is never unbalanced or drowned out due to the crisp and wonderful Treble/Mid.

Build Quality: 9.0

These earphones have a great build quality, but the thinness of the wires is still a bit questionable, although it looks as if it will not break. The earphones are nice and light, and the 3.5mm jack is gold plated for lasting durability.

Comfort: 9.0

These earphones are very comfortable, just like all other in-ear earphones. There was nothing really there to make me say to myself, "Wow, these are magnificently comfortable." Just your average comfort level, which isn't bad at all!

Average: 9.1

Conclusion:

I recommend these earphones to EVERYONE that loves any kind of music, except for people that like hardstyle with harder bass than normal. Besides that genre, it is seriously made for every other one, you name it! They have a normal comfort level, they're made very substantially, and produce astounding sound. For $29.99, you get more than what you pay for, seriously! Get yourself a pair today!

Click Here to buy the JBuds J3 Earphones by JLab Audio
  2. jeremymein

jeremymein New Member

great review

i also have the J3 earbuds and i love them! i have never owned such a quality pair before and i use them everyday. i would also like to recommend these to anyone in the market for new earbuds at a good price, $30?! unbelievable. great review!
  3. lqv2015

lqv2015 New Member

How much did they pay you to make that post?
  4. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    None... They just gave me the earphones
  5. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

just wondering, who did you ask for a review pair? I want to review the J3Ms and see how good the mic is
  6. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    The J3M's are the same as the J3's, just with a mic. They will not let you review them here, but they may let you review them elsewhere. Please don't take advantage of the company and tell them that you will review them here, because they have already been here!

7. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

I'm not going to take advantage, im prolly gonna review on macrumors and maybe repost it here
  8. Kaeso

Kaeso New Member

Compared to Other JLabs Products

Hey, I have the J2s and love them, but they broke and I am considering using their upgrade option to get the J3 or J4. Have you tried the J4, and if so, would say they're worth an extra $15?